Off Roading Forums banner

wipers

377 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  holsters 
#1 ·
OK. Did the search, no luck. Any one have an illustration on how to access and replace wiper linkages on a CJ? LEVE posted picture 1-14-03 but I couldn't open the picture. My linkages are worn enough to cause a delay at both ends of travel making a clunking noise as it re-engages and have recently started to bind. The previous owner glued an after market dash to the stock one that may have to be busted off to access the wiper motor.

#2 · (Edited)
1. That picture isn't going to help you,
2. You need to take apart the linkage assembly,
3. Start by: [*]removing the clips around the wiper shafts on the OUTSIDE of the windshield, [*]Remove the windshiled wiper motor from the windshield frame. [*]Remove the windield linkage access panels from the windshield frame. [*]Remove the clips on the linkage, [*]Pull apart the linkage assembly, [*] Remove the motor and it's link, [*]Remove all the rest of the stuff.
4. Now wasn't that simple?

5. Make sure the shafts aren't scored,
6. Make sure the shafts - windshield bearings are well lubed.
7. Make sure the windshield frame is not deformed by,
8. Binding linkages,
9. If it is, you'll have to:[*]Repair/Stiffen the metal frame,[*]Replace the frame.

#3 ·
Getting at the linkagae in a CJ is pretty easy. First thing you have to do is to fold down the windsheild. If you have a dash pad remove it. And behind it there should be 2 little plastic plug looking things. Take them off, Be careful you don't damage them, they are harder to find than you might think. (ask my how I know) Mine are now covered with duct tape.
Behind them you will find your linkage. Before you go pulling things apart, spray your linkage with a little PB. I thought my linkage was junk too, but I tried a little PB, then ran them for a while, then a little more pb, then ran them for a while. That was 6 months ago, and they have worked great every since.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Once I got home and layed the wind shield over it was very simple. I was led to believe otherwise by a "local expert". It was so simple I was a little embarassed
to have asked the question. The wind shield frame is bent, no problem to straighted. Easy enough to cut key-way in washers to re-enforce. One of the staked on pivot arms is loose, I'll try to re-stake, if not I'll replace it. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.