Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - T18 Swap Episode 3 - Pry it Out, Shoehorn it In
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
shuffjb
Journeyman

Re: T18 Swap Episode 3 - Pry it Out, Shoehorn it In

Update 2-9-04:

Question for the experienced wrenchers out there: Is there some fancy articulated socket extension or do you drop the engine/raise the body when removing a bellhousing?

Todays accomplishments were remove starter, bellhousing, clutch assembly, and pilot bearing. Out of 4 hours spent putzing around with the beast 3:15 were involved in the 6 or so bolts of the bellhousing. I was in every position imaginable except hanging from my ankles (that would have been an improvement). The 2 top bolts were a grade-a 24K beotch to get out. I finally ended up sitting indian style between the dual exhausts with my head poking part way out of the transmission hole and working the bolts out with a u-jointed extension and a socket wrench [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Thank goodness nobody was around to take pictures [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Anyway any day that shows progress is a good day [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] The clutch disk is quite glazed (75k miles), so it is just as well that it is getting replaced. I can't believe that I was thinking of keeping the existing clutch [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]

Tomorrow I will be off to Fasson's (local 4X4 place) again for a '76 clutch kit (need the 1-1/16 10 spline since my T18 has a ford input shaft). Still got to get the flywheel off for resurfacing. Thanks to all who advised me on that. I SURE don't want to skip a step now that I am so far into this.

the saga continues. . .

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome