Off Roading Forums banner

CJ7 emmisions help

723 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  OlllllllOCJ 
#1 ·
I just baught a 1983 jeep cj7 renegade. It has 258 I-6. I am getting ready to rebuild it. Almost none of the emmision control devices are hooked up, there are lose wires and vacume hoses all over, and several missing parts. After i get the engine rebuilt and put back in, what emmision systems are actually neccesary for my vehicle to run right? what parts can i leave off, in terms of vacume lines, and different emmision devices? i have come to the concluseion that the only parts that might effect the performanc of my engine are the spark advance system on the distributor, and mayber the EGR system. Am i correct?

#3 ·
You're right, EGR has a significant effect on engine performance. As for electronic spark advance/retard - it probably makes sense to do a nutter bypass to take the computer completely out of the loop, especially if you're doing away with all the emmissions stuff and Carter BBD. If you remove all the sensors/emmissions equipment, the computer might try to play tricks with the timimg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.