Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - How do you ID an SM465?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 06:42 AM
CJDave
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How do you ID an SM465?

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Out of NINE GM pickups I have owned, only three were slushboxes, the rest were all SM465 trannys. I have put 200,000 miles on them and only "freshened" them up because we had everything else apart at the time. They'll go a couple-hundred thousand easy. If you halfway pay attention, and don't "slop shift" and make the synchros do all the work the synchro packs will go as long as the bearings will. My idea is to run the highest rear end ratio as I can in my pickups, and then I use bottom gear to "launch" if I have a load of any kind. I can even downshift into unsynchronized low if need be, but then I came from a old-time truck driving background, before they ever HEARD of synchros. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The other thing is driving along with you hand on the stick......it helps WEAR OUT the top end of the tranny, so try not to let yourself get in that habit. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Jeepchick is strictly an automatic fan so her CJ is a TH400. If I were building another Jeep today I would simply go 350-SM465-NP205 and I'd have it right where I wanted it. There are lots of those combos in salvage yards......lots of them......and they are easy to "freshen up" before you use them. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome