Off Roading Forums banner

Questions on Camshafts

315 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Xburn3 
G
#1 ·
I am just curious, I am going to install Mopar's MPI kit on my 87, and take my head off to see how the 4.0L head is doing in the Jeep (I swapped) and I figured while I have the engine half apart, I may as well do something with the cam, since I have some ticking. What I am wondering is, is there anyway to clean where the lifters rest so the new ones have the best chance of survival? Also the manual suggests replacing camshaft bearings, do I have to do this? It seems like a pull-out push-in kind of install. I am trying to avoid paying anyone else for labor. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Replacing the cam shaft isn't that hard - make sure you pull the old one straight out and don't force it. If it feels like it is hung up stop and push it back a bit and try again. Put the new one in the same way but make sure it has plenty of cam lube all over it (lobes, gears shaft etc). They make a handle that bolts on the timing chain side of the cam to help you pull it straight out. Whatever you do don't force it - you don't want to nick the soft cam bearings. Cam bearings are hard to change and I would sugest that you have a machine shop change them. If the bearings look good (still silver - not bronze in color from wear) I wouldn't bother changing them. More than likely you will be fine. Just be carefull around them because they are soft.

G
#3 ·
I am tryin to avoid pulling the engine out of the vehicle so I am hoping I won't have to take anything to a machine shop. wha are the chances the bearings are still good after 15 years of runnin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.