Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - kfx 700 belt spring?/
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Spraguepsycho1

Re: kfx 700 belt spring?/

I think what your friend was talking about is, most of the time when you add an aftermarket exhaust and air filter, you raise the rpm level that the majority of power kicks in at, and lose some power down low (it's a trade off).The belt drive transmissions use a spring tensioned clutch, with weighted cams like a snowmobile has to keep the engine at a certain rpm while under a load accellerating. By changing the spring on the clutch to a stiffer one, it lets the engine pull at the higher rpm before shifting out so it pulls stronger. I've read quite a few posts on other forums talking about changing the spring even on stock KFX700 and Prarie's, and from what I've read it seems there can be a huge gain in performance just from the spring change alone. There are complete aftermarket clutch kits available for the 700, but I don't know who makes them. I would check into having the clutch tuned by your dealer, or check with some of the other forums to find out what would work best for your set up. I know once everything is tuned right, those 700's are pretty quick in the dunes. Good Luck. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome