Off Roading Forums banner

I have come to the conclusion that stock

518 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Yankee Tim 
#1 ·
I have come to the conclusion that stock axles suck. This past month I have broken 5 axles. Yes I do like the skinny pedle but when I hit the skinny pedle, it is the time of need. Just had to vent and it is time for new axles. Thanks for listening

See less See more
G
#3 ·
What size tire are you running?
How are you breaking that many?

I wheel hard trails (by anyone's standard) one or twice a month, more than that in the spring. I've only broken one axle this year - short side front.

I'm on my third set of rear spring packs, second axle housing and it is bent right now, bent one rear axle, rolled once, flopped several times, bent rims, cut a tire, and field adjusted every piece of sheet metal on it. I just don't break too many axles.

But I run 31's

#4 ·
Well most of the wheeling I am doing is a mixture of rock and mud. I am running 33 TSL's and usually aired down to about 8 but now starting to go to 5. I do know one thing as soon as I put these 33's on everything went down hill from there. Planning on going to either a Toy front or a 30 in the front. There is going to be a amc 20 in the rear. Atleast those are the plans for now. But we all know how that is!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
Woah man, if you're breaking that much, then something else might be wrong. I'm hard as nails on mine & even I haven't broke that much. I dunno your driving style, but seems something needs to be adjusted.

If you've got 4.62 r&p & 5.8 t-case runnin' 33s, you shouldn't use the skinny that much. If you do, then you need to learn when to ease up a bit. Usually only a "shock" load breaks something, if you're just spinnin' then nuthin should break. When you start to bite, let off.

Brad.

#8 ·
I agree with Yankee Tim. Get a set of the Calmini rear shafts. I have a set and a customer of mine also has a set of them, neither have broken one yet. I plan on HAMMERING on mine this weekend at ZUWHARRIE to see what they can handle and will let you know if I can break one. Before swapping out to the Calmini shafts I was breaking three rear short side shafts per year which sucked....especially on the trail. Every single one broke the same with the splines twisting apart at the point at which they come out of the side gears. The new shafts being 33% stronger and having a longer splined section should allow for the axles to twist up without snapping from the shockload.

Sean (Beat it like you own it!) DeVinney

#12 ·
Honestly, the jumping is no where near as hard on them as it is on the bearings and axle housing. I used to bend the long side of the axle tubing....but not anymore! (see above post). Now I believe I have a bulletproof rear end. ......now if I can only get the front as strong. I have the Calmini axle shafts for the fronts as well, but they are not installed yet, just the birf rings which I personally like now that Ihave a locker in the front. I broke two birfs at the Melt in 3 hours! After installing the extra set of stock shafts with birf rings no more breaky! As I said, next I intend to swap in the Calmini front shafts which means I need to swap over the stronger sidegears from a rear carrier = stronger front end. Then I will need to come up with a front axle truss that strengthens the axle housing enough so I can jump it without bending at the knuckles or perches.

Sean

#13 ·
Every axle I am breaking is on the driver side. Broke 3 fronts and 2 rears in a months time.My rear axle is tweeked just a little and that is why I am getting the locker to act up a little bit but I dont belive it is causing for the axle to twist and brake the axle in half. I dont feel like up grading to all the aftermaket things for the stock axles I would just much rather put in a yota and have it done with for some time.

#14 ·
The axle really can't take much deviation to result in decreased strength of the shaft. Simply put, if your housing is bent, the axle shaft strength is deminished.

First things first, fix the housing then invest in stronger shafts. That will do wonders for your situation.

#15 ·
Sean,

send a set of stock birfs out for heat treating/cryo-ing, especially the inner cage. Then, install a set up Cups, not rings. The cups add the most beef where the expansion of the birf bell starts, meaning, strongest "ring" on the market IMHO. Then use the CALMINI shafts.

A problem will be the inner cage. I have had and seen a few breaks on ringed birfs, and it wasn't the birf that broke, it was the inner cage. Get it heat treated then cryo'd, for max strength.

I bet if you do all of that, the stock front axle can be built to be quite bulletproof for 33's and survivable for 35"s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.