Off Roading Forums banner

In need of exhaust manifold for M38

820 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  SilentBob2 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have an exhaust manifold for a 51 L-head ???
Mine already had a bolt broke off in it and yesterday the other side with the little ear like tab and threaded whole broke off and cant be found

See less See more
#4 ·
On the F-head, aren't the intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the head?? The L-head exhaust and intake bolt together on the driver side... Im not sure on what the difference is from the L to the F so that might work. Is the F-head a flat head or is that when they went to the over head style??? Im getting ready to call Clements out of Springfield MO. Don't realy like to deal with him or even drive over an hour to get there but I will if I have to.

WILL if you can find one down your way that would be great!! Im heading down there next weekend for my bro-inlaws wedding!!
Rio_Grande if the F will work, Im interested!!!! Thnx for the help guys!!!

#5 ·
Yeah, the F-Head has the intake valves in the head and the exhaust valves in the block. Then intake is on top of the head on the opposite side as the exhaust. They use the same exhaust valves and guides, I just didn't know if there was a chance of the exhaust being the same.

#7 ·
lindy80cj7:
Do you know where I might get a new one?? Is there someone still making them or stocking them?? As of today the only thing I have come up with is a phone# for a place out of Oklahoma City! Don't even know what this place is yet, have to call tomorrow. I know there is a huge milatary surplus salvage or something in OK City. Not sure if this is the number for that or not, got it from Clements Jeep Salvage!

#9 ·
I will have to keep those places in mind!!! My brother inlaw located one for me for $20. The guy is real big into the milatary vehicles.
WILL have you ever been to car show for milatary vehicles at Petit Jean Mountain?? I don't know if I would call it a car show but its pretty cool, I went last year. They have a car swap meet there and you can get some good deals!

#11 ·
I found this picture of an L-head. The exhaust manifold looks the same as the F-head, doesn't it? If so, that would explain why the F-head manifold wasn't flat but curved upward between the outer and inner ports.

Here's an F-head.

Attachments

#12 ·
They look close but they are different!!! The L-head exhaust has four bolts that run up into the intake manifold! I geuss I'll find out why when I pull this one off. The bolts are a little rusty so I've soaking them with some lube all week. Dont need any more broken bolts!!!
The guy that has the manifold for me lives over by Petit Jean and is suppose to have some cool stuff. Im heading down for Jeremy's wedding next weekend and we are going to head over there. I'll find out when their next rally is going to be and let you know!!! I cant remember if we went in the spring or fall. Thnx for the help though!! Now I know what the F-head looks like(not the ones at work).

#13 ·
You have any more Hot Springs wheeling trips scheduled?

If you need parts brought up from the central arkansas area, I travel to Rogers every weekend. At least until we sell or rent out our house in Rogers.

#16 ·
I wanted to be in Hot Springs last weekend but had to help with the school carnival for the kids(a nightmare). Jeremy's club had a meet there last weekend!!!! I've got the urge to go but just two buisy. Now the Scrambler has that rear pinion and right axle seal leaking, gotta check that out tomorrow. I can give you Jeremy's number if you want to do some wheeling with some Yota guys!!
I just got done pulling the manifold off the block and still puzzled with why they are connected like that. I geuss I will go out to the shop and pull them apart. Once again thnx for the help and that link and if I plan on doing some wheeling, I'll let you know. If you move back up to Rogers and need a place to work on your rig you can bring it up! I got the big shop cleared out now and have plenty of room!! Ive had the M38, FJ40 and the Scrambler in there and still have some room..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.