Off Roading Forums banner

Engine lifting question

644 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeeper99xj 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to change the oil pan seal on a buddy's jeep, to do it I have to support the jeep with something else so I can remove the motor mount. I would normaly do this with my engine hoist, but I have loaned that out and cannot seem to get it back. So is there any other method you have used to support the engine??

#2 ·
Well I did this on an old ford pickup I owned, so I can't attest to it working for a jeep (especially one with a cancerous body....) but I laid a 2x4 over the panels, and then attached a cumalong, and ran it around the engine, and back to the 2x4. This was just to hold the engine in place while I tore out the tranny and clutch so I could roll it out of the garage. I used the oil pan to grab my engine, but in your case you will have to be a little more creative. I suppose you thread a lifting eye into the manifold and hoist it from the top. These are kinda backwoods ways to this, but when you don't have a chain hoist or a lift...

You should have seen the a-frame me and my buddies built when we were like 17 or something to pull out an old 360. Fortunately our carpentry skills were up to snuff well enough that no one lost a hand or foot on that one!

#8 ·
Cool, I have been working the shift from hell lately and the jeep is still sitting in the garage with minimal work being done. So I still have to change it... Hope to get it done before the badlands run.. But I still have an exaust to get on the tj.

#10 ·
am i missing something why not just put a 2x4 under the oil pan and pop the floor jack under it, or even use a ratchet strap between the door openings, that should hold the engine up enough. I held my engine up that way when i put my motor mount lift in.

BarrelRoll

#12 ·
In reply to:

But I still have an exaust to get on the tj.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm....Jeff.
Why not wait on the exhaust until AFTER the Badlands? I'd hate to see ya rip that nice shiney new system across a rock and leave it alomg a trail.
Just a thought.

#14 ·
run the strap from 1 door frame, between the body and the frame, around the bottom of the trans, and up the other side. It's holding up the drive train in my tj right now, i'll try and remeber to get a picture of it tomrow.

Barrelroll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.