Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - HELP outboard spring and shackle reversal
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
irjpr

Re: HELP outboard spring and shackle reversal

This is by far a crude method (a better one would be to take a jeep as it sits with its current setup and take some measurements to know where you need to end up) but I can't get at my jeep at the moment so I used the cj5 frame dimension picture and did some rough guestimation and then flipped ends and figured where the hangers needed to be when its all said and done. The more I look at it, the more I realize that I *NEED* to have the jeep in my yard to get this to work out correctly!

But as far as a rough guess, on my CJ5 if I do a shackle reversal, the front hanger needs to drop roughly 5" or so and the rear needs to be raised by about the same. It looks as though the shackle will be nearly in the tub. (Maybe it will be different when I get the jeep home and take a close look)

As jeepgod posted earlier though, a shackle reversal on non-outboarded springs is sorta simple. Here is the frame dimension thing I used too, I am not sure how accurate it is, but thats where I pulled all my numbers from and added a couple rough guesses as far as spring hanger heights and such.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1190277-cj5frame.jpg (68.4 KB, 60 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome