Off Roading Forums banner

Minimum lift for skinny '33's on Scrambler?

913 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MarineOpLaw 
#1 ·
Minimum lift for skinny \'33\'s on Scrambler?

Okay, 'guys much smarter & experienced than me', I again seek your counsel:

I know the generic answer to 33's on a CJ is 3" of suspension lift. However, I am thinking that may be b/c of the width as well as the height, and since I intend to go w/ 33x9.50's or 10.50's, I thought I'd ask the question.

Some of my specific weight issues: I will be using 258 (4.6 Stroker eventually) coupled w/ a T-18 (now a T-5). I have a full-length hardtop and will be adding a winch and heavy front bumper. (I understand I need 1" body lift to use T-18? Can anyone confirm? If so, since my body mounts are next to nonexistent, I figured on using the body mounts that add about an inch of lift [Daystar, maybe?].)

This is a daily driver - not a dedicated trail rig.

Also solicit your specific recommendations on lifts to use and/or avoid.

I am wary of, but open to 'spring over', but not knowledgable enough about what it entails (+/-'s) to know if I want to go that route.

Related issue (is this a variable affecting lift?): Still running stock axles, but know I'm going to have to do something w/ gearing if increasing tire size to 33's. (Currently I've got mid 3.xx ratio.) Given cost of regearing, I'm looking at upgraded axles vice regear of stock - and am completely overwhelmed by all the varied, but well-grounded, opinions on axles. I have an '81 J-20 that could donate it's D60 & D44 (3.73 ratio) axles, but am thinking they may be overkill(?).

Finally, (gearing issue not withstanding) can I run the 33's without adding any lift if I'm just commuting?

Thanks aforehand for all assistance/guidance/recommendations/opinions.

R/

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Minimum lift for skinny \'33\'s on Scrambler?

I have an '81 Scrambler with 33x10.5 Super Swampers TSL Radials and have a 4" spring lift, Con-ferr shackles which add an additional 3/8" lift, and no body lift. I found the 4" would be my minimum lift recommendation as the front wheels tuck way up at full stuff, but just clear everything. A difference between your Scrambler and mine is that I have the narrow axles (which allowed me to swap a rear Dana 44 from a Commando) and you have the wider axles. I feel the narrower tires perform better than the wider ones due to the increased contact patch pressure. Plus, in my opinion, they look "just right" tucked in the fender wells.

#3 ·

I'm running 33x9.50s on my CJ5 with about 2.5" of lift, and I never rub or hit at full flex. However, a few things to note:

1. I'm running a narrowtrac axle
2. I'm using 15x7" rims, with no special backset (centered)
3. I DID have to adjust my steering stops to keep the front tires from eating the springs.
4. I don't rock crawl, so I'm rarely at full flex
5. This is a CJ5, not a CJ8, so all the geometrys gotta be different, but I'm not smart on that sort of stuff *LOL*

My lift is a "homemade" one. Basically I had a single add-a-leaf put into each spring pack, and had my existing springs re-arched to get a total of 2.5".

Hope this helps!

#4 ·

I have an 82 Scrambler with 2.5 pro comp springs and 3/8 shackles with 33x12.5 Thornbirds and get just a little bit of rubbing in the front under full compression. The fenders are a little bent up on mine so that kind of has a little to do with the rubbing. I have a AMC360 in the front to so that might help the rubbing to, Im mated up to a SM465 tranny and the stock 300 case and running stock gears which are very high(like 2.73 or something like that). After I went to the SM465 tranny, I was quite happy with the gearing so until the gears break, they will stay in for now.
I have a set of 3/4 GM axles with 4.11 gears that Im wanting to stick under it, but the wife isn't going for it right now!!! In time though, and they will be in it!!!!!!

#5 ·

Oh and one more thing, A body lift is cheaper but if you can fork out the cash, do the springs. Ive done both in the past and I would rather install springs than mess with a body lift. If you do the springs get you a 4.5 grinder with a couple cut off wheels and slice right through the old U-bolts and that saves you about an hours worth of work trying to get the nuts off the old ones. Lift kits should come with new U-bolts so its not a problem!!!! I think I done mine in about 3-4 hours by myself and I think the body lift I done on my CJ5 probably took twice as long with help from the wife!!!!!! Just a thought!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.