Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - OT Remembering 9/11/01
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
MarineOpLaw
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT Remembering 9/11/01

Do I remember 9-11-01? You bet!

I was sitting in my Army JAG School Graduate Course classroom w/ 81 other mid-level JAGs representing all U.S. military services. Very sobering experience when folks to your left, right, front and rear currently have relatives and close friends in the places you are watching burn and smoke on TV. Some class members had just left Pentagon assignments a month or two earlier.

School atmosphere changed completely after that - went from an open (thus vulnerable) academic building to a relatively locked-down DOD facility.

Come to find out, the Pentagon office, to the left of the gaping hole, that had an American flag standing therein, was the office of a civilian I worked for about 12 years ago. He was sitting at his desk when the plane hit... was knocked across the room into the far wall... and managed to walk out a survivor. Not bad for a 60-something bureaucrat! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

On a related note, I had the opportunity to go to the FBI Academy here at Quantico to hear President Bush speak yesterday. I'd like to comment on one of his statements that I think we all need to keep in mind when someone suggests his Administration miscalculated the Iraq issue and it is turning out to be overly expensive in terms of lives and money:

We have to fight this war on terror - if we do not, we are hostages of any and all tyrants who would do us harm. We can either fight this 'war' here in the U.S. (w/ the resulting domestic civilian and uniformed casualties and catastrophic property damage)... or fight it outside our borders where the great bulk of American lives at risk are better trained and equipped to defend against attack. Either way, we are bound to see this challenge through if we want to maintain our current freedoms, liberty and relative safety. (While the press refuses to report or acknowledge the fact, we are actually losing far less men in Iraq/Afghanistan/etc. to enemy action and accidents than we would if these servicemen were here in the U.S. and dying on the highways and other accidental means. This observation is not - in any way, shape or form - an attempt to minimize the sacrifices being made by our servicemen in harm's way. )

There I went and did it again - got on my soapbox [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Sorry, I guess I just get a little passionate about things... [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

May God bless you, and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!

R/

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome