Off Roading Forums banner

O/T,....it's official, I'm heading to Okinawa

813 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  willsjeep 
#1 ·
O/T,....it\'s official, I\'m heading to Okinawa

Next year anyways, I need to be there by July 1st,.....I'll be assigned to the 31st MEU(Marine Expeditionary Unit),.......looks like three years of no wheeling,....I guess I'll have to learn to scuba dive to pass the time away

For the geographically challenged:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: O/T,....it\'s official, I\'m heading to Okinawa

Richard if you want I can take care of your TJ for you while your gone (don't want the tires to dry rot right?)... Seriously though that stinks... You do get to take the family with you though I hope? Is this going to be the last DS before retirement?

#3 ·

One of my buddies from here is shipping to Okinawa in about 2 weeks. He's marine infantry as well, but I can't recall the division. Daniel Melgoza is his name. Good luck over there. (I'll bet there's some good wheelin' on that island somewhere

#6 ·

Congrats Rich... You will need a ricer to ride the island in style. Or, maybe you can do what Chris did....Drive to the new station. After all you have a TJ, and they can do just about anything...
Ricky...seeya...

#10 ·

Sorry to "lose" you for the 3 years, but the wheeling is actually good there. Even though it's a tiny place, there's tons of spots (plus, you can probably gain access to places like CTA & NTA
). Not to mention the outlying areas around Kadena AFB.
I was stationed at Camp Hansen in '83 and regularly drove a little 2stroke Zuki w/ hardtop and 16" NDTs out to NTA. It was a blast to wind that 3cyl up to about 5k...(sounded like a dirtbike w/ expansion chamber) and dump the clutch.

#11 ·

Okinawa is really nice, kinda BFE for Japan though. Diving all over the place is very good, water is a bit cold but no worse than the east coast of the US, better vis. You can see almost as much by just snorkeling. Be carefull of how much electronics (stereo, tv, cameras) you buy while there...you get into the "going broke saving money" syndrome.

#12 ·

I was there in 89-90 (2nd BN 10th Marines). If I remember right the snorkeling was great and the worst wheeling was avoiding the two- wheeled rice burners.
I didn't have a POV while I was there, all my wheeling was in a M-926 wrecker.
Any way, Good Luck and don't let them convert you to rice power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.