Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - OT - Shotgun Purchase Options
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:19 PM
MarineOpLaw
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT - Shotgun Purchase Options

Go for the shotgun that best fits you. B/c shotguns are pointed and not aimed, fitment is critical.

1) You want a gun that easily mounts to your shoulder (stock not too long - IMHO most standard factory stocks are excessively long for the average shooter [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]).

2) Once mounted, and w/ your cheek resting naturally on the stock, your shooting eye should be looking straight down the barrel.

3) Do 'the mount' w/ eyes closed and once you have a comfortable cheekweld on the stock, open your eyes to check how your eye is aligned w/ barrel.

4) Ensure you are wearing the same clothes (to include outerwear) that you'll likely wear when shooting. A thick sweater, jacket or stiff canvas hunting jacket will make a big difference in your 'mount' and fitment. If you buy your shotgun wearing a t-shirt, you're going to end up wondering why the butt keeps getting hung up in your armpit when mounting in hunting situation. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

5) The only way to figure this out is to get yourself into a gunshop w/ a good selection of shotguns and try them all.

Personally, the Ithaca is my personal shotgun of choice. In fact, I prefer my Ithaca 37(s) over my HK, Benelli Super 90, and Remington 870. Lightweight for ease of carrying on long days afield, but does not kick like a horse.

Go Ithaca if it fits. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

Also, if a multi-use shotgun (skeet/trap and field) is desired, go for the screw-in chokes vice the fixed choke. (Do NOT let anyone talk you into buying an older, used Ithaca w/ that confounded, ugly-as-a-troll, PolyChoke on the end of the barrel! Uggh!) [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome