Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I don't

• I don't care

Do we want a "sticky For Sale" thread?

938 views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Aaron871 
#1 ·
Re: De we want a \"sticky For Sale\" thread?

#2 ·

Now for some reason I couldn't sticky the poll. Then I tried to sticky the post without the poll and then add it...........it wouldn't let me.
So, sorry to anyone who voted (4 of you). Please revote since I had to delete everything to make this stick.

I will leave this up for a week....then the voting is done.

#3 ·

NO!

I think this was discussed before and was voted against.

1. It would be inviting people to come here to sell their overpriced junk

2. It would be very hard to police in a fair manner. You say no businesses but how are you going to enforce that? There is one person who comes here trying to sell stuff all the time, I don't think I need to mention any names. Is he a business or an individual? On the other hand you have Tom who doesn't try to sell and was invited by the majority of those who commented to put a link to his business in his sig. He's so low pressure, I forgot what he is selling. Seems like OBA was part of it.

3. This is the part which makes me sure that this has been discussed before, I suggested that the member make the standard FS post. If the merchandise is of use and at a reasonable price, somebody will bring him back to the top. If the items are junk or overpriced, it will usually just fall to the bottom. One of the biggest irritations I have with for sale items on this board is the overpriced stuff that nobody wants just drops through and then the seller comes back and does a BTT or engages in an argument just to keep it at the top of the page.

Status quo. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

#4 ·

I've voted No. Here's why:

1. I come to this board to talk jeeps/jeeping. If I want to see for sale stuff I hit ebay or Northern 4x4 suppliers.

2. Honestly, there are maybe 4 or 5 other members from my area on the board that I might be able to connect with for parts. Living in Alaska, I could care less what somebody in Ohio or Carolina or California or wherever has for sale. Even if it was free frieght to my area is EXPENSIVE. I bet if people on the east coast feel the same way about for sale stuff on the west coast and vice versa.

There you go. My honest opinion and answer.

#5 ·

I voted yes
Just because DD said "De we" in the original post, since it sounds like PeeWee I must support my "most awesome of human beings" friend.

(I fixed it for you Larry)

#6 ·

I voted yes, but I think we should restrict it to members who have a certain number of posts. If a new poster came and posted a for sale thread a moderator can just delete it. Its a good idea, but needs to have a good strong set of rules in place before it comes to life.

#7 ·

You know....
Nick I think if this ends up happening, maybe make a preset post count mandatory. Say 50 for a minium. (just thinking out loud) And that way if they don't make it.....delete.

#8 ·

I voted yes for this one! Over the last year I've been in need of parts, one that comes to mind is a wiring harness. "Jaffer" had a harness posted and I was able to snap it up. You kind of get to know people over time, even if you never meet them. I knew buying something from "Jaffer" wasn't a risk, and I was right, the harness was everything he said it was and more. I'd rather give a member of the board/jeep enthusiast my money which in turn gives them more funding for their projects than give someone I never heard of over Ebay or ? and take a chance it's junk or never gets delivered. Chances are if a guy has hung our here for a year or so talking Jeeps, posting pics, etc. He/she's an enthusiast, not a crook. As far as businesses and other things being posted or over priced, I feel it's like anything else, use your judgment. If you feel the product is not superior or over priced, if the YJ/TJ/CJ Scrambler, or ?, is over priced, and or junk, Pass on it and wait for the next one to come up, or check with other businesses that makes similar products and buy from them. Rick

#10 ·

Did a quick search just for reference and came up with some threads where this had been discussed before.

Here

Again

And again

And my post here where I said I made deals with two people on this board to buy and neither followed through.

Here

#11 ·

Taz I don't care if we have one or not. It's up to the board to vote on the outcome. I just noticed that the others had them and seemed to be working well.
Besides....you can go right past it if you don't want to read it. (instead of X amount of for sale ads) AND........I'm the one who has to take care of it. So it would mean more work for me. It won't bother me a bit, as long as it's what everyone wants.
Should I take the poll down for you?
(I was under the impression that everybody's voice counted here.)

#12 ·

Im against it, just as i was in the other post when LEVE asked about it.

I have tried selling on the bronco or ford truck forum and didnt like it at all. My post was way at the bottom, so by the time you read to the bottom, I was tired of seeing everything else.

Taz maybe you should run for Mod God status next time, seems like you sure want to be in that postion.

#13 ·

In reply to:

Should I take the poll down for you? (I was under the impression that everybody's voice counted here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, why do you ask?

I voiced my opinion and then posted links to the threads I had made reference to in the first post. I even said "just for reference". Opinions change. If I had thought you were flogging a dead horse, I'd have said so. I'm not too shy to say exactly what I think.

#15 ·

I think we should give it a shot for a month or so...if it doesn't work, how hard would it be to delete it and not have it anymore?

#16 ·

I voted yes for the simple fact that it would keep all the for sale stuff in one spot, instead of popping up in its own line all the time. I definetly think that it would be an organizational plus for the board.

That said though, there would have to be some good parameters for it to work well. The #post restriction is a good idea, and maybe some way to divide up the parts, either by model of jeep, or by type of part or whatever. (I have no clue as to how you make a sticky note thing, so I am not sure how indepth you can go) but instead of having one list for every part thats for sale, some breakdown of whats for sale would be good.

I too would be *MUCH* more comfortable buying stuff from people on this BBS than over ebay or some such thing. (nothing wrong with ebay, but you just know the person on the other end and its a gamble every time, whereas here, you find out pretty quick if a guy/gal is honest and reputeable)

Just my half a cent.
Casey

#17 ·
Re: Do we want a \"sticky For Sale\" thread?

My vote is "yes". One thread for all "for sale" items instead of multiple OT posts with stuff for sale.
If someone doesn't like the "for sale" thread, they can skip over it just like any other thread. If I'm not looking for anything to buy, I'll just skip past it too.

It seems like it has worked well for other boards.

#18 ·

I voted yes for a number of reasons:

1) It's tiresome and time-wasting looking through all the non-SWB stuff when that (SWB-related stuff) is all I am interested in.

2) I trust you guys... or at least most of ya!
Like someone else said, a reader can fairly quickly form their own reasonably accurate opinion of a poster, and based thereon, decide if he/she wants to 'do business' w/ that particular person.

3) If I were selling something, I'd rather give fellow members first shot at it.

4) Currently, while in the process of trying to 'build' my Scrambler, I am in a 'buying mode'. (See #1 & 2, above.)

I would think our moderators will be able to determine fairly quickly/easily whether or not someone is selling commercially or not. And, it never hurts for buyers to provide feedback for particularly bad (or good) buying experiences.

Personally, I have had a great experience from buying from Tony up in Grand Rapids, MI when he parted out his CJ - I'd like to have the opportunity to repeat that experience.

Just my $0.02.

R/

#19 ·

I voted NO. The ford/bronco bbs has one, and it's useless to me. It has to be constantly maintained, and the list gets so long that it's too laborous to read.

Stick with the FS posts..... and let them fall out of line when nobody is interested.

Thanks,
Drew

#21 ·

I agree with some of the lists getting way to long to read or find anything effectively. What about a 10 day item list or some such thing. after ten days, the item is gone. If the seller still has it, he/she can either repost or put it on ebay or wherever. I still vote for at least trying it, but as has been said many times, there need to be guidlines, and good ones at that.

Casey

#22 ·

The problem I see with that Jim is, lets say "window shopping". I can post I need a 4:56 gear for a 44. If no one has it, then no replies. But if I already had one I would never post that I wanted one.
Then say I had one, but you listed one. Do I need it? No. But I might buy it because I saw it priced right and it would be a good spare.
(for example.......I bought a stainless glove box door off jersey wheeler. I didn't want or need it. But I saw him list it.....cheap.....and thought that would be cool one day if I redo my dash in stainless or alum. one day)

#23 ·

On the other hand, maybe I've got some excess parts under the bench, that I posted a year ago but nobody wanted. I'm not likely to post them again, but if I see that somebody needs something I've got, it's theirs. It happened with front 44 leftovers that nobody wanted when I posted them. I had forgotten about them until Will put up a post saying that he needed hub parts.

I've put up two posts saying that I have good body parts left over - hood, grill and instrument panel - free or cheap. Nobody wants stuff like that as spares because it's too bulky to have laying around. But if there was a stuff-needed post, as soon as a tree lands on somebody's front end, I'd get my garage emptied out.

Maybe we could combine both functions into one post.

Suppose we limit the posting to member name, date, part name, price - one line. Members could send their listing to one of us, and we'd put in a locked sticky post. If there's interest, it's handled PM from then on. When the poster tells us the part is gone, or after a post reaches a certain age, we take it off the top of the list.

That might be the easiest way for us to make sure that posts conform to the rules.

#25 ·

Didn't read all the posts in this thread, but I thought I'd throw out there that I voted " I don't Care" because quite honestly I don't. so you ask why bother casting a vote if it doesn't help either way? Well my point to that vote is that, If you are against it... then DON'T OPEN THE THREAD! juat as there are Adlut Stores and Churches open to the public, it doesn't mean yu have to make use of both! but then again, why deny your fellow jeepers on this board the option of having an area of Forsale items? And if you could care less about what's forsale on the other end of the country then I would think this to be a good oportuniy for you to see fewer Threads Titled " For Sale in NC" or Tranny in SF Bay Area 4 Sale".

But If I may suggest something. Is it possible to have a sub- forum inside our forum? I mean, instead of one constantly growing thread post aftr Post, creat a forum inside the SWB Forum, that is for For Sale items. where seperat threads can be created...... For an Example, Go see JU. Yes i think this is one thing that ORC could learn from JU....

OK I'm done

#26 ·

OK. I've been silent long enough. It looks like about half the people who responded don't even know what the issue is. It is NOT whether items can be offered for sale on this board, it IS whether those For Sale posts are made as individual posts or added to one thread.

I have no objections to members selling items on the board, I wouldn't even object if it were not Jeep related. I don't think anybody wants to pay shipping on your living room couch or a dinette set, but somebody who upgraded to a better digital camera might sell their old one here. Maybe somebody got a deal on a case of last years model CB radios and can pass the savings on to the rest of the board.

I did not object because I resent individual sales on this board. On the contrary, I read all of the ones except those that are obviously something that I would not be interested in like "FS MB Parts" or "F/S FSJ Axles". I have bought, or gotten for shipping charges, a speedometer needle, a speedometer, a D300 shift lever, 2 steering shafts, a compass mirror, steering wheel hub spline (for a custom wheel some day), and a couple of those aluminum blocks that insert in the steering column bracket (I broke mine) and some other stuff I've forgotten from Jeepgod, M38, Bigbad8 and Steve83.

I do object to repeated "commercial" posts. If you're running a business, be it full or part time, pay for the advertising like everybody else. I tend to believe that a sticky For Sale thread would solicit these ads. It might even appear that the board is endorsing the products.

All that aside, my biggest problem is that it is just simpler with the individual threads. They are MORE visible making them easier to find. Members reply stating what they are interested in so other potential buyers are aware that the item is probably no longer available and the sell doesn't have to answer a dozen PMs for the same NV4500. Also the individual threads stay here forever so if I break something I might remember that one was for sale a couple months ago an can send off a PM and ask if it's still available.

After having thought about this for a couple days, if you don't make the use of the sticky mandatory for For Sale items and members can post and individual thread if that is their choice, you can change my vote to I don't care too.

I would vote FOR a sticky for "commercial ads" especially if they brought in donations to support the board. I'd even arrange the ads from largest donation at the top to smallest at the bottom. This would keep these ads out of the mainstream and the no reply rules would prevent repeated hype efforts. If the advertisers had a separate username, the star system could reflect their credibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.