Off Roading Forums banner

Spare tire size

654 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  blabhern 
#1 ·
I have 285 tires on the truck now. The spare is a 265 or about the same width. Is this OK to run on if I get a flat? What if I am in 4 wheel drive? If I am on the freeway I thought that the 265 should be put on the front. (If the flat is on the back take one off the front to put on the back and put the 265 on the front) Or can I put the 265 where ever if in 4 wheel drive or 2 hi.
Sorry if this is confunsing but hopfully it will make sense.

G
#3 ·
I've got the same situation of 285 tires and a 265 spare. Haven't had a flat yet (BFG AT's seem to be much better resisting flats thant he Goodyears from stock, or it's just dumb luck). Anyway, I figured on doing the same thing you suggested keeping the 285's out back and putting the 265 spare on the front. My theory is the two front wheels are disconnected in 2wd, so size different should be OK, may screw up ABS though. I definitely wouldn't run in 4wd with that configuration.

G
#4 ·
I say if you can handle limping the truck home a few miles and drive something else for awhile then go for it. I went from 245's-265's and paid the extra 120$ or what ever for the spare. I cant be outa my truck for any amount of time. Just think of murphy. What if you are out in bfe? You might be stuck in a hotel after the tow co drags your truck to were ever to wait for the tire place to open in the morning. At least you have a common size though What if you pop one on a weekend or the local store dont have one? Do you want to have to pay someone to mount up a tire on a sunday if the only shop that has em is closed one a sunday(if they will open) so you can make it to work in the morning? You should not drive whith different sized tires on your drive axel with a locker or any type of limited slip. If you pop a rear do you want to be on the side of the road do you want to take off the front then take off the back? Change 2 tires in God knows what condition? You should also not drive very far/fast on 2 different tires in the front. Its a personal thing.....if you dont need to be able to depend on your vehical and stay close to home I say go for it. But if you travel or need to be able to drive your truck at the drop of a hat then you would be gambling to not have a problem. Yes you probably wont have a flat......it might be in your town and your wife comes to grab you and you go down to the local tire joint the next morning and they say they will have you set up by lunch and you just have to steal the old ladies car......or like me.....murphy would cause a screw the size of an elephant dong to pop my sidewall on christmas eve day in the middle of a snow storn as I'm starting to plow and my truck goes idel for a storm when I coulda been making $$$ and now some one has gotta cover my route. See what I mean. Only you know your situation and how much you trust to murphy not doing his best

G
#5 ·
Well maybe I've just been lucky. I ran 33's with a 245 on the right rear for about 70 miles (That was my 2nd swamper radial that blew on the interstate). That was over a year ago. I've swapped the motor and tranny since then, but old 14 bolt semi has held up fine.

--Davey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.