Off Roading Forums banner

T-case mounts, skidplate, which one?????

1K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  zukibuilt 
#1 ·
I'd like to get a t-case skid plate and new mounts...
What do you guys reccommend? Should I get the all in one from Trailtough?

Thanks,

Koko

#2 ·
Brents is a quality piece and very durable. I have racked it a few times and there is still no harm done to it. I use the stock mounts and run a 6.1 and I have really had no problems with it. Hope that can help your decision. TOM

#5 ·
Gotta say ditto on the Mighty Kong T-case. I have beat the crap out of mine and had no problems. I did tear an original stock mount (short side) and replaced them with polly mounts from R Road.

Attached is a pic of the abuse it can take without bending. This was after 1 weekend of heavy rock crawling @ Katemcy TX.

Attachments

#9 ·
The only problem with wheeling is anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. T-cace armor is good but it leaves the rest of your ubdercarrige exposed. I prefer the Petroworks full undercarrige skid. Bounced mine over a fair share of rocks with no damage done. The only drawback is that you have to remove it when servicing the tranny and t-case. A slight pain in the @ss, but it only takes about an extra 20 min. or so.

G
#12 ·
I think my vibes are coming from my mighty kong...don't know for sure but will real soon when I replace it with Spidertrax mounts. Then I will hack up the bucket part and weld it to the spidertrax arms. I know that what I said is true on one sammy (a friend of mine) who installed the bucket and HORRIBLE vibes, uninstalled the bucket no vibes...the bucket was the only common denomiator. It is beefy and well made...mine just might be a little off and causing vibes. So it might be isolated I don't know. Just my experience...bad thing is both have been modifyed so they cannot be sent back...the holes were the bolts go were plasma cut to make a square...anyone who has one know that putting the bolts in is a hassle with the holes like they are.

G
#13 ·
I was running the Mighty Kong with stock mounts and I got horrible vibrations also. I used a polymount on the short arm ONLY and it helped reduce the vibes but I still get a little in first and second gear under acceleration......I thought I was unique for this problem. I really like the design of the Kong but it does cause vibrations - on my zuk anyway with almost 7" of lift.

#20 ·
In reply to:

This is an expensive solution, but how about using are the RRO arms or Spidertrax arms with RRO bombproof bushings and slap a Petroworks full skid under there for good measure?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now you are in the ballpark. The setup I'm running is the full RRO long and short arms with the poly mount bushings. That plus the full skid has proven to be quite a bullet proof setup. As far as the cost, I figure that the whole thing was cheaper than replacing a tranny or t-case. Another thing about the full skid is that basically turns the bottom of your rig into a sled. I have been over terrain that others have gotten their undercarrige hung up on while I just slid over it.

#21 ·
I would go with the bucket or Mighty Kong. I had the skid and it served its purpose, I now have the Mighty Kong and I think it is a better set-up (the bucket is good too, same idea). Sure, the skid acts like a skid, its covering up a bigger area. The 7x7" surface area of my Kong acts like a skid too, the rest is open so it dosent have to slide on anything. Another benefit, to me its a bigger one with my 6:1, is that it cradles the case which hopefully will help the case stay together. Once you get the skid and beefed arms you will be close to the price of the Kong/bucket.

G
#22 ·
Bill not to get in a pi$$ing contest but I used the word "bucket" to reference the part of the skid plate that resembles just that a bucket. I could not think of a mterm that was more descriptive that everyone would know what exactly I was refering to. "pan" I guess could have worked then I would be explaining what a pan was by saying the bucket portion. I am sorry if I used your trademark to refer to a specific part of a competitors product. That being said. I wish I would have bought your product, to late now however. Oh Yeah if you can't hover your queer. just an aircrew jab at ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.