Off Roading Forums banner

cv shafts??

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  J.R. 
G
#1 ·
is there any other symptoms cv shafts will have other than a popping sound when bad or leaking? i have this nasty vibration at any speed over 30mph and is the worst at 50, it sounds like i have some 38in swampers, but i don't!! i have checked everything!could it be the cv's? any suggestions would be verrry helpful, thanks

G
#3 ·
my blazer did the same thing I looked and thought everything was good as well. I just asumed the vibration was the drive shaft being missalined due to the lift, I read that the lifting of the S-10's caused vibration at highweigh speed. but it didn't explain the vibration at lower speed. When I needed to get new skins put on and the Blazer was in the air my frount end was loose. the tire shop showed me (the first thing that I thought it was is the tierods or the pitman arm) the ideler arm or stering stablerizer. I looked like a second pitmanarm on the pasenger side. The bushungs were wore out I was told that thay went out a lot on S-10's and I needed to change the bushings out or buy a up graded one that was more dureable. the parts cost me between 50 for the factory replacement or 70 for the upgrade whitch is what I did.

G
#4 ·
well thats the first thing i replaced (idler arm) when i first heard the noise and it did nothing. now i am starting to think its my upper ball joints because the boots have been sliced open for a while, but since they tore not long after replacing them i did not suspect them. i greased them up often though. would bad upper bj's cause a vibratin that you can really hear between 40 and 70, but over 70 it is not bad at all, it got me all confused!!

G
#5 ·
I don't know. I just had a conversation with a friend and he said if the vecheial is proplery alined with the wheels clean and balenced to check all steering componets for any sign of wear or damage and check to see if all componet line up properly when the truck is parked it is harder to see if anything is loose. so set it on jack stands and shake the tires back and forth looking for play at any joints. before you set the truck up on jack stands park it on a flat level surface like your garage with the wheels pointed stright. and see if the shocks, springs and camber are good. if one corner sags more than the other it could be a sign of bad shocks and the vibreation is wheel bounce on one wheel. he also said if you could have somebody else drive your truck than follow it to see if the wheels wable that could also cause shaking and vibration. That is all I could come up with or you could ( god I hate saying this
) take it to a shop that specializes in allinments and steering and tell them what it is doing.

G
#6 ·
thanks for the tips guys, i found the problem yesterday. It was the pass. side wheel bearing, that i noticed while i was changing the upper joint and had the caliper out of the way. the funny thing is that there was no play in it, but there was one small spot, while spining the bearing, that that caught and was also not real smooth spining. i did just turn over 90,000 so it was bound to happen soon anyway. now she rides like a champ once again!

G
#7 ·
HA 90,000 miles..... Mine has twice that, 183k when the drivers side wheel bearing when, and it still had the origonal upper ball joint on the same side. But a friend of mine with a 98 4 door lost a wheel bearing at the same millage that you did. I guess Im just lucky

G
#8 ·
YO, STOCK GM CV'S ON A LIFTED SUSPENSION ON HELL ON THEM.
I TALKED TO FULLSCALE FOLKS AT RIVERSIDE, CA. AND THEY CAN MAKE CV'S FOR LONG/TRAVEL SUSPENSIONS.I AM SHIPPING MY 96 S10 4X4 TO CA.

#9 ·
I've talked with the folks at California Super Trucks at length about a "kit" for S-10 long travel. One of their guys even fabbed one up for himself. His biggest complaint was not that he got 11" of wheel travel but that he kept grenading front differentials. So that's something to watch out for.

Where is this Full Scale Motorsports at? I mean I can map quest them just fine, but do they have a web site or something? I live in San Diego and I've never heard of them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.