Off Roading Forums banner

Doing muffler for 1st time- welding required?

976 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mobdawg 
G
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am replacing a muffler and wondering if welding is necessary or can I just clamp that baby in place? I've cut out the old one and left the tail pipe on one end and the cat on the other - was planning to just clamp the new one in? FYI - this is on a 93 4 banger. Thanks!

#2 ·
I just did a cat back. What I did was clamp it tight, drove it for couple of days, retightened the clamps and just tacked the joints with o/a torch.

#3 ·
1. Clamping an exhaust system is a good idea..
2. Welding is better.
3. I'm not comptent enough to weld a 360* pipe sitting under the Jeep...
4. But I can tack weld the joints.
5. Don't depend on clamps and rust to hold the system together.
6. There's just too much
[*]Rust
[*]Expansion
[*]Contraction
[*]Getting banged by rocks
[*]Gettin' stuck in mud
[*]Being used as a hand hold.
7. To not trust a clamp.
8. Weld now or you'll be pickin' up parts in the street or on the trail.

#4 ·
When making the decision to weld or clamp, I look at how the system went together. Look at it this way - when the next exhaust system component fails (mid-pipe/tailpipe/etc.), will you be able to cut out the bad section and replace it, or will you have to replace the entire exhaust because you welded it and you'd ruin the still good muffler trying to cut it out?

IMHO, most systems I wind up clamping together. I would rather undo the clamps next time that have to trash still good parts because I welded them. If you take the time to make sure you have a good joint to clamp on (pieces sleeved together at least 2"), then the clamps won't leak. I live in the Northeast where they put salt on the roads like it's going out of style. I've had clamps rust off but the joint never leaked. Just replace the clamp and you're on your way. When it comes time to remove it, a oxy torch and a dead blow/rubber hammer work pretty good to break the rusty joint loose, then you can reuse the still-good pieces.

LEVE also makes a good point - most people with limited welding experience will have a hard time making a good weld 360* around the tube while underneath a vehicle that's not on a lift.

#5 ·
My whole exhaust system is welded except for the muffler. The exhaust shop did it that way. At first I wanted the muffler welded in as well, but once I thought about it, I left it as is. My reasoning is to leave one part of the exhaust system as the "weakest point" acting as a fuse of sorts. So when the system is stressed (banged around on rocks and such) the cheap $17 muffler is most likely to let go and not the expensive catalytic converter which is welded in.

G
#6 ·
I've worked on exhaust systems on about 5 or 6 cars (never a Jeep) and have yet to weld anything. I've never had any problems with just clamps. If you've got a buddy that can weld or can find a cheap price at a muffler shop that will weld it after you install and clamp it, then that's even better. The one I had Midas install (due to the foot of snow in my driveway) was welded and just felt more solid and secure. Just make sure you get the right size clamps and tighten them up enough or they won't make a good seal.

#7 ·
The only drawback to clamping vice welding, for the sake of replaceability, is that when you clamp a pipe tight it flares the joint therefore destroying more pipe than a light Mig weld will ever do. For us military peeps it costs less to weld an exhaust system than it does to buy the clamps and only takes about 90 seconds per seam. I say weld away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.