Off Roading Forums banner

Wheeling across the continent.

819 views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  ddieken 
#1 ·
Since I will be traveling with both of my jeeps from North Carolina to California, I have decided to hit as many wheeling areas as possible on the trip. I already have the first stop planned for Mont eagle, TN labor Day weekend. Where to from there? Disney OK would be nice....anyone from there wanna wheel during the week? Then I'll be passing through norther texas before I get nearer the 4 corners region. By this time it will be the weekend of the 5-6 sept. any locals wanna show me around? Is there someplace else I should stop? I',m towing both of the jeeps, so breakage isnt really a concern.

#3 ·
I got a little something.
'98 dodge 2500
24v turbo cummings
94000 miles
automatic, pwer everything, 4wd
quadcab, shortbed. I bought it from a friend of the family.
$14000 i'll e-mail you a pic..
gooddogs is brigning it down from wisconsin when we go to URE.

#5 ·
GTG, ya oughta hit Monteagle, then roll down to Gardendale and try to find someone to ride with, then see what the Superlift off-road park is about in Hot Springs, then roll on over to Poteau, OK(I think that's it), after that's done, roll north to Disney, then make the trip up to Avalanche Ranch and put some time in in Colorado, drop by Moab and see what the fuss is all about there, then do the Rubicon. I'm sure once you get settled in over there in San Diego, you'll be off to the trails about every other weekend.

G
#6 ·
Sounds like you are coming across on I-40. If you feel like taking a little detour south toward Phoenix, there is some extraordinary wheeling to be done north of town. My club loves to show off some of the more challenging trails. Click the trails link and look at the Table Mesa Area trails, see if those sound interesting.

#7 ·
I'd love to hook up with you at either Hot Springs, Poteau, or Disney or as many as you go to and I can find time/money to go to too. Keep us posted. Last time I was in Clayton last year, most of the good trails had been closed.

#9 ·
I just cant see hitting colorado on my way to San Diego... that... and my wife has family in arizona, so it looks like colorado will wait... I think next year I'll do a moab/colorado trip if im in the states.

#11 ·
Yup, Mriamar... I need a hacienda ....one where I can park 2 jeeps, a 30 foot trailer, and a truck. I would also like it to be less than an hour from base and under $260000...i'm not seeing much on the 'net....

G
#12 ·
Youch, good luck. Very developed out that way now. I was stationed at Miramar from '82 to '85 (actually was there when they filmed Topgun). Went back out there about 2 years ago to look around, and I can't believe how built up it got out there. Good duty station, I thought. Except it was a Navy F-14 base then, and those things are all kinds of loud.

#16 ·
After re-evaluating my schedule, I may be able to make Monteagle. Instead of flying to Nashville, I may just drive,....then have the wife meet me in Monteagle. Still have to look at a few bugs, but it looks promising. My ComSec conference is over on the 28th, so I could drive down there, spend Friday and Saturday in Monteagle, then leave Sunday to be home so that I can fly out Monday.....I dunno
It's a thought.

#19 ·
not yet will... like most times, my plans have changed slightly.. we still plan to hit as many wheeling spots as possible, bit I am going to ship the wifes jeep and tow mine. this means that I am going to have to wheel with locals as I'll be yuby myself otherwise.
Arkansas??
so far I have planed stops in monteagle tn and arizona...this is a good idea.. which trails are closest to I-40?

#20 ·
In reply to:

which trails are closest to I-40?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot Springs is about 45 minutes away from Little Rock which I-40 passes through.

Poteau is about 45 minutes south of I-40 at the Arkansas/Oklahoma border.

Disney is about 1-1/2 to 2 hours north of I-40 at the Arkansas/Oklahoma border.

I have not been to the off-road park in Hot Springs yet but have been on some of the trails near Hot Springs. It's probably the most diverse trails.

Poteau is very challenging but I have only been there once and don't know if I could remember the trail I ran enough to lead. Might be able to line up a guide between now and then.

Disney is a lot of small climbs around the overflows below the dams of Grand Lake of the Cherokees. I know the area well but it will probably only entertain you for a half day.

#21 ·
After Yuma, AZ, on I-8 you'll cross the great sand dunes. Those are a blast. It's like driving on a cloud. There are a bunch of OHV areas and you can go anywhere you want. I hear that there is some great wheeling in the Anza Borrego area, about 80 miles northeast of San Diego. I've been there but never in the Jeep. I usually stick to the high desert around Death Valley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.