Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - help me with my 304!!!!!!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 06:52 PM
mangu43

help me with my 304!!!!!!

Hello all, I am trying to get my 77 CJ-7 running and up on the road. It has the 304, and I installed a carb that I rebuilt out of an 83 waggy. It has a few extra vacuum lines coming out of it, and was wondering if anyone knew the least amout of hoses that I would need for good performance. There is no emissions law in Vermont. The bare minimum would be great!
Secondly, I thought that I was ready for a road test, but took it out in my neighborhood, only to have it stall when any load whatsoever was placed on the engine. This seems odd to me, because it fires up well, idles well, and revs to approximately 3000 rpm without hesitation, but only when it is neutral. If a load is placed on it, (like the huge stress of driving on flat pavement) it bucks, backfires, and slows to a near stopped engine speed, however, if I depress the clutch, the engine recovers, and is fine like nothing happened. I have replaced the coil, sparks, wires, rotor, cap, and have upgraded the prestolite bid system to a motorcraft ignition system using the distributor, and icm out of a waggy. The icm tested fine at the parts store. Any suggestions, encouragement? Thanks.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome