Off Roading Forums banner

gauges on the fritz

337 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LEVE 
#1 ·
Hello
I currently have an 83 CJ7 with a 360 swap. My current issue are the temp and fuel gauges. I have read the article in the Electrical tech section. Right now I am currently reading a steady 12 volt on the middle posts, instead of the pulsed 5 volts. Both sending unit check out with appropriate resistances.

My question is, has anyone ever put a steady 5 volts there instead of the pulse? Will either work? I cannot think of a reason it has to be pulsed, except that a steady 5 volt could potentially burn the gauge out. Has this been done before? Any help would be great

#2 ·
Read the article again ... twice ... and preform ALL the ohm tests on the gauges.
An external regulator or diode feeding the 5 volts will work.
You still have to do the ohm reading tests on the fuel and temp gauge pins for proper resistance. If they check out, chances are the meters are good though you may have to dissemble the fuel gauge and buy pass the old bi-metalic pulse regulator if it is cooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.