Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Best time to buy new? Over the border?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:31 AM
RRich
Way Outta Control

Re: Best time to buy new? Over the border?

Just bought the Rubicon myself last week. Not across the border though.
The dealer told me they have either stopped production on them or are stopping very soon. Not dropping it, but the last of the year's run is about now. Time to make the '04's.
I found some dealers felt they were "stuck" with them, not enough buyers - willing to negotiate. Others said they had trouble getting them - wouldn't talk about price - had their noses in the air.

I'm not sure the Rubicon's worth it - it still takes quite a bit of expense/work to make it off-roadable.
Lockers disengage above 10 MPH, and only work in Lo Range - leaves out hill climbing and sand duneing. -- Can be bypassed somehow.
4:1 t-case is nice, but lower would be better yet.
Supposedly they are lifted - as opposed to TJ's, but comparison of suspensions I couldn't see how or where. Just the tires are bigger - but still too small.

Service manager told me I'm the first one he ever saw dirty - all the others they sold have never been off the pavement - and I live in off road country!!!

Remember - it's still a military vehicle - with air conditioning. But I didn't get the Rocket Launcher with mine - guess it's an optional extra.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome