Off Roading Forums banner

Two things.....SCORE and Stock Flex pics

1K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I went out for a little local off roading today and found a rear bumper (steel) and a driver's side door!

So I guess I have a freebee to try making a half door with!
I also found a couple of other things, one being a large...actually gigantic headboard with shelves and cupboards that I'm gonna use in the garage to store junk in! Here's to finding junk in the desert that your wife shakes her head at!

I'll post some pics of my stock Bronco flexing (don't laugh). Tell me what you think, seriously. Any ideas to get some better perspective on the pics. All of the stuff I climbed was when I was already on a fairly steep incline........should've done some on a flat surface?

Here's a rub

Here's the other side while that side is rubbing (actually not quite rubbing, but almost.

Here's with one wheel on the incline. The incline is about 2 1/2 feet or so.

Here's my 9 year old daughter. I just measured her at 55 inches. This is while I climbed up on a big rock that you can't see and the incline is rather steep anyway, but the angle of the picture doesn't show it......darn.

Here she is next to the Bronco on level ground.

See less See more
#3 ·
I kinda like having tires on the ground. Just a personal thing though. It's been my experience that wheels off the ground causes trouble. Although I've never been stuck in my Bronco, or a civilian vehicle for that matter. But we used to get stuff stuck on purpose in the army just to practice getting it out. That was my job, recovery and battlefield maintenance.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about lifts.

I'm wondering if they are worth the extra cost and maintenance? I don't know if I'll really need a lift. Those pics were taken on my property, I didn't take my camera out with me! I'll have to remember to do that next time.

EDIT: So what are some things that can be done to improve flex on a stock vehicle that aren't as involved as a lift?

#4 ·
the possibilities are endless... swaybar removal, shackle reversal, spring hinges, missing link shackles, 3/4 elliptical springs, longer travel shocks, longer radius arms, coilover shocks, blah blah blah. a lift alone wont net you any more flex, just more room for tires. it's certainly easier to design a flexxy suspension with a lifted vehicle but with some creativity you could do lots of stuff with the stock height.

#5 ·
OK, one thing at a time....

1. No sway bar removal, this thing has to stay streetable!

2. So, with a suspension lift, your actual ground clearance isn't really improved save for the extra 2" of tire height? If I go from 32's to 35's, I'm really only gonna get 1.5" taller from the tires. That's an extra 1.5" of room for the oil pan, tranny and diffs right?

3. Shackle flip will actually raise the vehicle right?

4. Which would be the best place to start if you were gonna try and make a stock 83 flexible?

5. Should I get the sawzall ready for the tire wells?

G
#6 ·
Re: OK, one thing at a time....

I just removed my front sway bar two weeks ago and the Bronco handles just about the same without as with... After I get my lift installed this weekend I am going to put the swaybar back on and make custom connector bars that I can use on the street and take off when I go off road. Once I get them made in a week or so I will post some pictures.

Dave Couch

#7 ·
Re: OK, one thing at a time....

gruveb...
"1. No sway bar removal, this thing has to stay streetable!

2. So, with a suspension lift, your actual ground clearance isn't really improved save for the extra 2" of tire height? If I go from 32's to 35's, I'm really only gonna get 1.5" taller from the tires. That's an extra 1.5" of room for the oil pan, tranny and diffs right?

3. Shackle flip will actually raise the vehicle right?

4. Which would be the best place to start if you were gonna try and make a stock 83 flexible?

5. Should I get the sawzall ready for the tire wells?"

1. NO worries, it will be plenty streetable. apx. 5" lift no sways. Actually rides better. I tow as well.

2. NO, ground clearance is increased with a lift, just not the axles. everything that rides on the suspension gets lifted. No, Tires add more to the lift height, but add it from the ground, at roughly (not exactly) 1/2 the difference in the old height vs. new height of the tires. This ground up lift does increase axle height from ground.

3. yes, if done properly.

4. would not do anything to the rear until you either pick up the sawzall and cut the sheetmetal for the tire, or change to a proper sized wheel that will stuff in your wheelwell.

5. see 4 above.

A lift is basically needed because without it, you will find you have the best, flexiest stocker around, yet can't go half the places someone with some clearance can.

#9 ·
Thanks Juice.

I'll try removing the sway bars and see how it goes.

Those of you who sawzall the fender wells, do you use fender flares?

Longer travel shocks will let the tires drop further without changing anything else?

#10 ·
you need to find shocks that fit. lots of measuring is the key. remove your shocks on the entire front axle and go flex it out. take a compressed measurement from shock moutn to shock mount, and take a extended measusement form shock mount to shock mount. then measure your stock shocks and find out if they are limiting your travel. if they are buy ones that fit and dont limit up or down travel.

#11 ·
I normally wouldn't think about a body lift, but.........

I'm not actually trying to skip a step or thinking about it because it is cheaper.

Body lift would not affect the geometry in a TTB, yet would make room for larger tires right? I know it would leave the engine/tranny and everything else at stock level, but I'd be able to fit some bigger tires. Bigger tires are a good thing.

Also might save the body from a sawzall, right?

I'm thinking I'll make some skid plates anyway to protect the oil pan/tranny, and I am more worried about pounding the differentials that may kick up something that will rupture the tranny or oil pan anyway. Lots of rather large loose stones around here. I actually had that happen with a car. A rock got snapped out from underneath the tire and smacked the tranny pan hard enough to make me more familiar with Pat and Charlie (my feet).

Again, I'm just thinking about it. Any input is welcome.

G
#12 ·
Aint nothin wrong with a body lift
Got one on my 87 bronco (3inches) and fit 35X1250 with very little rub. Only rubs on the Radius Arms (If i turn the Steering wheel as far as itll go) and every once in a while the Back of the Fender (Front Tires)

#13 ·
SEARCH
most of these topics have been discussed to death.
the body lift topics i know has hundreds of threads on it, and one impiticular about all the cons a body lift did.
try the search........

G
#18 ·
Re: Rage: You\'re in Tucson?

I havn't looked for anyone to make a roll bar yet but there are a ton of places here in town that I'm sure could do it. I would be interested in knowing who you find (maybe they would work a deal on 2).

Sure I have gripes about the body lift, it has its problems like bumper height (fixed mine) and the 4wd shifter cover fits weird now but I would do it again in a heartbeat. It cost $69.00 (not including raising the bumpers) and I'm happy with it for now because:

Its cheap
It makes room for bigger tires
Bigger tires raise the whole vehicle including axles
center of gravity is lower than a suspension lift
retains stock steering geometry
raises rocker panels 3" + tire gain (the gf hates this one
)
Easily installed
Easily removed
you don't have to buy new shocks or brakelines
Did I say it was cheap?

Until I have the cash for a suspension lift this will do fine.

#20 ·
Re: Rage: You\'re in Tucson?

Norm's cheapest route estimate for flex and bigger tires: Cut it to fit the bigger meats and remove the swaybars, especially in the rear if you have one. I'm surprised we don't see that here more often. Most times the cutting comes after we've beat ourselves to death with all the other mods. If you go with a suspension lift then you will learn to love Rivits
. It's a PITA but IMO well worth it once done. If you do the lift for flex then it's well worth going all out for the longer radius arms. Even better (and possibly cheaper) would be to just do a D44 SAS right off the bat. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen go from a aftermarket suspension lift just to end up making there own custom solid axle setup. But if simple is the word for the day remove the sway bars first and then go wheel it imediately then post your newfound happiness here.
Don't forget that with bigger tires comes bigger gears. All of this stuff adds up. Remove the Swaybar. It looks like you have some decent tires as is right now. (Not like the 28's I started with and put on my wife's Grand Cherokee! lol) NORM

#21 ·
Norm and Rage

Norm,

So take a sawzall to the fenders huh? What about using fender flares to cover up some of the chop job?

I'm changing fluids and doing basic maintenance on my vehicles today, so I'm gonna yank the sway bars off while I'm at it.

Rage,

What did you do to fix your bumpers after a body lift?

#25 ·
Sway bars on gone....went on a 3 hour trip........

And on road it seems to make very little different. Suspension is a little "looser" but it doesn't appear to really lean too much around a corner or anything.

Off road it seemed to make the ride softer. Flex seems to be better as well. All in all, it's seemingly worth the 10 minutes or so it took to get them off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.