Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Aux lights
Thread: Aux lights
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 02:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Aux lights

There's alot of schools of thought on this one. Some like high mounts, others low. The major thing is what kind of illumination you want, legality, and the trails you run. Where I run, despite being in densely wooded areas, the ideal is to find the highest spot on the truck, and then go 6" higher, because it's not that often that you're gonna find a tree limb hanging THAT low. Other guys feel that the top side of the bumper is the best spot, because it won't interfere with your approach angle, and it won't snag on trees. HOWEVER, they will be vulnerable to low brush (there shouldn't be any, but some trails do overgrow over time, they should be maintained, and blazing new trail is never an option) and water crossings. Auxiliary lights throw alot of candlepower down the trail, and they create a MASSIVE amount of heat doing so. I made the mistake of washing winter road crud off a set of fog lights I had on my old truck, and ended up shattering a lense because I didn't let the lights cool enough. There's alos the bad mix between water & electricity to worry about too..
There are two holes in the underside of the bumper that can be used for mounting lights, but they're gonna be VERY vulnerable there. If I were you, I'd punch some holes in the top of the bumper for mounting your lights, or fab up a bracket you can bolt to the front of the bumper (baja bar/rally bar) through the stock bolt holes. choice is yours, options are limitless.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome