Off Roading Forums banner

Who's Stainless Steel Assc. should I buy? Kentrol?

577 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  4x401CJ5 
#1 ·
Who\'s Stainless Steel Assc. should I buy? Kentrol?

I am in need of some stainless accessories and wanted to know who recommends what mfg. I want SS that holds up to the salt from the north. Note: I want to replace as much as possible with SS.

Thanks,

Chad

#2 ·
Re: Who\'s Stainless Steel Assc. should I buy? Kentrol?

I've bought from Kentrol, Pierce and no-name J.C. Whitney, and the Kentrol is by far superior. Stainless comes in different alloys, some which rust quite readily from road salt. I have a tire stop from J.C. Whitney or Pierce (sorry, I can't remember which source), and it rusts every year. I have door & windshield hinges from Kentrol and they are bright like a mirror and have needed no maintenance. I also have a stainless front bumper from J.C. Whitney and it rusts every year. Good news is that with a metal polish I can remove the rust, but if you want the best, get Kentrol. It's possible some other brand may be as good, or even the same source. I've never tried a magnet on my hinges, but the rear tire stop is attracted to a magnet, and the most corrosion resistant stainless is not. Also, some stainless is light gauge to save cost. Not a good idea for hinges or anything that bears a load.

#3 ·
Re: Who\'s Stainless Steel Assc. should I buy? Kentrol?

I'll agree with Tim on Kentrol. I have a few Kentrol items that have held up great sitting outside through a couple of northeast winters. Just little stuff like hood latches and footman loops, not like a bumper or anything. The only complaint is some of the screws rusted a bit. Not a big deal. Stay away from anything SteelHorse (aka RustPony).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.