Off Roading Forums banner

Front arm bump stops

541 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  gottagofast 
G
#1 ·
I was putting new ball joints and axles in today and my dad and I got thinking. Since the sway bar is coming off, why not remove or trim the bump stops to allow more travel. So I unbolted the top ones and trimed mabey an inch off the bottoms. We couldn't see any problems that would ocurr right off. Is there any??

G
#3 ·
you might bottom out your shocks, causing them to grenade. no swaybar up front is gonna make you lean WAY over in turns, and is a huge rollover risk if you gotta make one of those sudden swerves on the highway.

#4 ·
There are a few bushing companies that make "snubber" bump stops and they are basically the same as what you are doing. The only problem I can see, other than what Grizz mentioned, is premature wear of parts. That's about the only thing I've heard of snubbers. Yeah, it'll give you an extra bit of up-travel, assuming the shocks will let you!

As far as the sway bar is concerned, if you have a good set of shocks on (ie, reservoir, charged, reeeeeal stiff front end), you can get away with it more. Otherwise you'll have to be really patient when turning or breaking.

G
#5 ·
Shocks are fine actualy, they extend further then the a-arms drop. This is going to be a trail only rig, meaning its rarly going to be driven on the road. Mabey around town, or to the place to go riding. So as long as I remember theres no sway bar and drive smart I should be fine. But there is allways that chance of the neiborhood dog running infront of me.

Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know if anything does break or wear out "unexpectedly".....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.