Off Roading Forums banner

LTa 50 weak weak weak need some help!

3K views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  MattFisher 
G
#1 ·
I have read the responces on the board about the LTA 50 or the KFX 50. I think I have attempted all but my sons little 50 is still weak.
Here is what I have done to date:

Removed the exhaust and intake restrictors
Rejetted the carb
Shaved the head for more squeeze
Ported the intake and exhaust runners in the cyliner head
removed then reinstalled the muffler baffle (didn't notice a difference)
Reworked carb slide so there is no blockage of the carb opening.
Drilled holes in the air box lid.

Whats next?

The quad has no "snap" and winds up slow. It does eventually get moving but then quickly run out of wind. I beleive I have the carb jetting correct, plug looks good and it won't tollerate the choke when hot.

Can the timming be advanced?

Help help, i'll lose my butt if I trade it in on an 80 now.

Chuck

See less See more
G
#5 ·
How comes we are so many LT50 owners wanting to increase power in thos tiny machines?
Well My 3 yr old is angry because dad has to push up the worst hills...that's my reason.
I have removed both restrictors (in- and ex) I have removed the first pilot jet, and I have experimented with air cleaner....don't think the effect is too big...yet Any more ideas? is there anything to gain by increasing size of main jet (from 55 to?) Which position should the needle have? Another issue: Starting problems...... It seems to be a problem with the choke. I have to pull and pull and....until I put my finger in front of hole in air-cleaner....then it fires at once. I hve checked carb. and there is no dirt in choke system, but still I think it gives to much air....or to less fuel. Any others who have had this problem? Any suggestions to what I can do? There are 5 very tiny holes in the choke jet, and I wonder if I can change anything there to make things better. Anything would be better than removing seat and hurting my finger every cold start....here in Norway that is pretty often.
Even though winter is preparing to leave now.

G
#6 ·
I think the biggest issue with the LT50A is the lack of a transmission. Although I have not spent the time to do most of the mods listed, I know ahead of time that it's a loosing battle, performance wise, due to the lack of a tranny. It's too bad, as the chassis seems to be better than anything else in it's size class (not that that's saying much).

Kai- due to the low temps, you may need a bit more fuel than the rest of us. It may behoove you to experiment with the air screw, or even move to a larger pilot jet (stock is 15 I believe).

I'm running a drilled air cap lid, removed intake and exhaust washer restrictors, with the 1st pilot (which is a 0.38!!!) removed, and a 70 main. We went riding the other day in the snow and I ended up moving to a 75 main, but will probably move back to the 70. Changing to a heat range 5 (stock is 4) plug seemed to have a positive effect too. Bike starts great, btw.

Chuckc- you may also want to experiment with a 5 or 6 heat range plug. Have you removed the oil injection?

Edit: Bad speeling...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.