Kasea 50cc won't start. (engin turns but no firing at all) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Stranger

ubergeek is on a distinguished road
Default Kasea 50cc won't start. (engin turns but no firing at all)

This Kasea (SMC) 50cc (2 cycle) ATV used to run fine only a few months ago but I can't get it started now.

Symptom:
When I push the start button, the crank turns but it fails to fire. In fact I don't hear any firing at all as if the sparkplug isnt working at all.

Steps I have taken so far to troubleshoot:

1. Fuel valve is open.
2. Has fuel in the tank.
3. Brake is applied.
4. The tiny key is insertd.
5. Engine switch is on
6. The spark plug looks fine (shape looks good but it is dark brown)
7. I cleaned the carb using the carb spay while the crank is turning.

What else should I check? Please note this is my first ATV I just picked up from my brother for my daughter. I hope I can get it fixed by this weekend..

Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

writeforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORC

Out of gear?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

larry horne is on a distinguished road
Default Check for Spark

Gotta prove you have fuel and spark reaching the cylinder.

Make certain all of the safety kills are set to run.....not sure all on this specific bike, I have Alpha Sport LG50.

Did you take the spark plug out and while its inserted into the plug wire, ground the threaded portion of the plug to the engine, bare metal and with everything on and in thr proper position try cranking. You should see a small spark from the plug.

Also, does it have a safety kill switch? Look around the back of the unit and see it it has a "key" and lanyard. (you may be referring to this as the "tiny key"). Clean or replace the plug.

If its firing then you are not getting fuel/air. Start by pulling the fuel line off at the cut off valve, open the valve and verify flow. Is there an inline filter? Check flow on the out put side of it. You have to be getting air since you used carb cleaner.

If you have flow and spark then you may have to pull the carb. I just got mine re-installed last night, same problem. Had to disassemble the entire carb, clean and are assemble. Seems ok but havent field tested yet.

What carb is on it.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Stranger

Thanks Larry. That is the information I was looknig for. I just ran the test as instructed below but did not see any spark
I did put a new sparkplug just to be safe also.

There are two safety kill switches. One by the ignition button and the other in the back connected to lanyard.They both seem to be fine although there is no way to check it for sure.

How do I troubleshoot "no spark" issue further?

Before I start taking apart, I wonder if the safety key by the start button is malfunctioning. It is hard to tell because with or without the key, I can crank the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry horne View Post
Gotta prove you have fuel and spark reaching the cylinder.

Make certain all of the safety kills are set to run.....not sure all on this specific bike, I have Alpha Sport LG50.

Did you take the spark plug out and while its inserted into the plug wire, ground the threaded portion of the plug to the engine, bare metal and with everything on and in thr proper position try cranking. You should see a small spark from the plug.

Also, does it have a safety kill switch? Look around the back of the unit and see it it has a "key" and lanyard. (you may be referring to this as the "tiny key"). Clean or replace the plug.

If its firing then you are not getting fuel/air. Start by pulling the fuel line off at the cut off valve, open the valve and verify flow. Is there an inline filter? Check flow on the out put side of it. You have to be getting air since you used carb cleaner.

If you have flow and spark then you may have to pull the carb. I just got mine re-installed last night, same problem. Had to disassemble the entire carb, clean and are assemble. Seems ok but havent field tested yet.

What carb is on it.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Hummmmm

My LG50 is basically the same bike but does not have the second safety "key" by the ignition, that must be one hooked to the rider? NTL if I had to trouble shoot this I use a volt/ohm meter to verify that the two kill switches are "closed" when installed. They have to have connection point between the switch and the wiring harness. Use the volt ohm meter set to check continuity and verify that the circuit is closed (get a tone on the meter) when the keys are inserted. Basically you just use the probes on the meter, one on each leg of the switch. Kinda like checking a light bulb, just want to verify that current flows in, through and out completing the circuit.

We know that the safety switch on the brake is working because the unit is cranking.

If the two kill switches are ok, then the checks get more complicated. Let me look into something and get back.

Lar
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Go here

Electrical Parts - Kasea, SMC, Blast, Ram, Trail Blazer, and Barossa ATV Parts - A&J Parts

I dont see a second kill switch in this parts diagram. The one you are referring to by the ignition switch. Anyway the only other parts contoling fire are the DCI and the coil. I dont know check procedure for those, sorry.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Stranger

Thanks Larry. It is working now.
After reading tons of posting, I suspected there was a problem in the safey key.

See the part number 9 here.
HANDLE SWITCH - Kasea, SMC, Blast, Ram, Trail Blazer, and Barossa ATV Parts - A&J Parts

Essentially when this key is inserted, the two metal terminals become connected and that's where the problem was. I took it apart to adjust the gap. Now everything works fine.

Thanks to you, I was first able to verify that it wasn't getting any spark at all.

My daugther will be so excited to see it working this Sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry horne View Post
Electrical Parts - Kasea, SMC, Blast, Ram, Trail Blazer, and Barossa ATV Parts - A&J Parts

I dont see a second kill switch in this parts diagram. The one you are referring to by the ignition switch. Anyway the only other parts contoling fire are the DCI and the coil. I dont know check procedure for those, sorry.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Got It

Oh, I don't have that "key" just a on off rocker switch. '

How old is your daughter? Mine is 8 and I'll let you know now that her hands get really tired pushing the throttle, not eronomically correct for little hands nor are the hand brake levers, too much of a gap for her finger reach.

Enjoy.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Stranger

I have two daugther, 4 and 7. I will have to see how the gas lever works out for them.

This is a MINI 50 which may be smaller than your ATV. We are going to just ride around the backyard for now.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Stranger

dave1645 is on a distinguished road

you most likely fixed this already, but i have found in the two I have just fixed , and found that the problem was inside the igniton switch I found this by cutting the
kill wire on the cdi unit on a five pin cdi it is he middle of the 3 in a row . if you take
the igniton switch apart you can see where it archs between the 2 kill wires of the switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement