90 e-ton bogs and won't run - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 PM
e-ton

Default 90 e-ton bogs and won\'t run

My son has a 90 e-ton it worked great when he first got it.Then one day it started bogging out and stalling.So I started checking it over and found the breather tube from the carb to the breather was damaged and wouldn't fit right anymore.I pulled the carb and cleaned it,checked carb adjustments,checked compression and checked spark,all OK.I found if I restrict the air going in the carb the bike runs good.I bought an aftermarket breather for it and it didn't make a difference.Anybody have any clues or answers for me? I know the carb is as clean as clean can be.Please HELP!! I've tried everything.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Journeyman

Spike99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 90 e-ton bogs and won\'t run

If your mini has a Spark Arrestor on its pipe, remove this spark arrester and clean it. For now (to isolate this problem), keep the spark arrester removed.

If you replaced the factory air box with an After Market Air Filter system, you must re-jet the carb. This is a must!!!!! As as suggestion, re-install the factory air box and ensure NO leaks around the carb's intake and factory air box.

If your mini has one, replace the inline gas filter. This gas filter should be changed every year. If it has factory crud in the gas tank, it may have to be changed after factory burn in. re: After the 2nd tank of gas.

Install fresh gas. If wondering, gas starts to loose "its punch" 25+ days from its pump date. If your gas is more then 25 days old, install fresh gas. Also, gas will naturally condensate this time of year. Especially within Ontario Canada Spring weather. Thus, there may be some water in your current gas. As a suggestion (even for peace of mind), install new gas.

Note: If within the burn-in period, don't use 50:1 Pre-mix in the 1st tank of gas. It's much better to use 100:1 Pre-mix for 2 full tanks of gas. Especially if your mini came with a factory Spark Arrester. Also, ensure the premix oil and factory Injection Oil is a brand "you trust". If necessary, dump the oil in the OI tank and install the brand you know will work. For example: Motul 600 Synthetic Blend.

Try these above items and let us know your progress....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
e-ton

I don't think this bike has a spark arrester on it because the muffler outlet is the size of my middle finger.This bike is a 99 so no brake in period needed.Tank is clean and gas is new.Any other thoughts?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Journeyman

Please advise the exact condition when it starts to stall and/or stops. Does it die when above 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, etc. If engine runs fine but it doesn't have any power (especially at take off or up little hills), it may have a stuck roller as well.

--------------

Also advise if you are running the factory air box. As some say, back to "pure factory", get it stablized, then start adding performance parts back into it.

From a high level perspective, I'm thinking improper float adjustment, improper jetting or it needs its top end rebuilt.

To test jetting, pull the plug and tell us its exact color.

To test warn rings / cylinder walls, perform a PSI test (with full throttle) and tell us its PSI numbers.

Try these items (at pure stock) configuration and let us know...

thanks.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
e-ton

If I leave the after market air filter on , how do I rejet? Do I try going up one size or what?Is there a certain way of doing that? Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Journeyman

Re-Jetting is determined by weather, altitude and the exact brand of "after market" air filter you install. May need to go up 2 sizes or may need to go up 10 sizes. It all depends on the above air flow and air density influences.

To view if the mini's jetting is correct, view the pictures at the bottom of:

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

As seen in these pictures, you want Beer bottle brown spark plug color (in all throttle ranges).

As another suggestion, buy many different sizes of jets. Depending on the spark plug color, install larger size or lower size of jet. Some folks buy 7-9 different jet sizes. Start with the middle size jet. Depending on the color of the spark plug, then then have 6-8 other jet sizes to try.

As another suggestion, give Dave at BNC Racing a call. Contact: http://64.83.56.92/contact.htm If wondering, Dave helped me out with my jetting my '03 Pred-90 with factory air box with modified factory snorkel. He knows his stuff.

Hope this helps...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement