need advice on starter atv for my 3 year old - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 03:41 PM
ritter

Default need advice on starter atv for my 3 year old

I,ve been riding ATV's since I was 5 years old and am looking to purchase a starter ATV for my 3 year old son. I'm very confused with all the options out there, can anyone give me any advice on what to buy or not to buy. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 11:38 AM
chris31849

Default Re: need advice on starter atv for my 3 year old

SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF GRIEF. SPEND A LITTLE MORE MONEY AND BUY A PLLARIS OR ANOTHER REPUTABLE BRAND. ITS NOT WORTH BUYING AN OFF-BRAND TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Stranger

JRFries is an unknown quantity at this point

I think 3 years old is still too young to ride a Gasoline powered ATV. Get the kid an electric machine first, until they ride it like a pro, then think about the gas powered machine, at or around the age of 5. I'm sure you don't want your kid getting hurt on something he is not ready for. It is an awful feeling when your kid is heading for a tree (or worse) and can't remember to turn or gets the throttle confused with the brake, and you can't get there fast enough. You have got to have a feel for your child's abilities and additude. If your kid is like my nephew, who doesn't believe he can get hurt (No Fear), then any machine will get him hurt. But if he is like my son, he knows his limits, and he has the skills and knowlegde to stay within them.
I know, you really want your kid to ride his own machine, because your tired of his helmet hitting you in the chin, but it is better to be safe, than sorry, when it comes to the safety of our kids. Just remember, if you buy the kid a machine that is labeled for a child older than your kid, most state laws hold the parents accountable, and could fine you if the child is injured or killed on the machine. But it is up to your best judgement, is your child ready! I recommend for the first ATV to have a wireless remote control kill switch and the tether kill switch, so the parent can kill the engine from across the yard, and be sure that the machine has some type of speed limiter, all of which are feature on the Yamoto 50cc ATVs found at http://www.jrfriesmotorsports.com/Ya...0cc%20ATV.html
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 PM
shelton361

I couldn't disagree with the other 2 posts more.

My response for Chris: I say why pay close to 2 grand for an atv that will last the kid about 2 - 3 years before they have outgrown it and are ready for the next size. I concede the Polaris is a little bit better quality (I should know - that is what I ride) but I'll be damned that my 3 year old will know the difference. Also, I can buy nearly three (yes, 3!) Redcat 50cc atv's for the same price. I won't though, because my child will outgrow the 50cc in about 1 -2 years and will be ready for a 90cc. I will buy the 90cc at that point (and will have paid less for the 50cc and the 90cc than 1 Polaris).

It is all about dealer support. My dealer (kidatvs.com) has helped me with every question and concern (even before I purchased).

My response to JRfries: PLEASE! You are seriously kidding, right? A bunch of mumbo jumbo...then WHAM! Hey look at my site that I sell atv's on. Sure...What a coincidence. And yes, my Redcat from kidatvs.com does have a tether switch, and speed limiter etc. that your Unison features. You are presenting it that you have to buy YOUR machine to get those features...forget it. And for the record, I have no other affiliation with kidatvs.com other than purchasing a Redcat 50cc. I am not a dealer. I have no agenda. And by the way, your poor nephew...too bad he doesn't have anywhere near the skills of you little boy "who knows his limits"...you must be so proud. My 2 1/2 year old DAUGHTER has been riding her Redcat (yes, she is still alive!) for a few months with the speed dialed down to about 1 -2 mph (the unit can be governed and limited).

Also, I bought the GAS atv instead of a friggin' electric Barbie car because I don't have to plug it in, I can adjust the speed to a crawl, and the atv doesn't have plastic wheels (actually the whole Barbie car is plastic) for a few hundred more.

P.S. Is additude related to ATTITUDE?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Apprentice

beekilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you may look at it from this standpoint...it's easy to fuel up the gas one, and a pain to recharge batteries. Or, how about resale value? You're going to get jack for an electric, but youth ATVs hold their value VERY well...far better than adult ones. One reason is that they're hard to find. Hope that helps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement