Laws on Youth ATV riding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 04:47 PM
vrhalo

Default Laws on Youth ATV riding

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a five year old and I am thinking of getting him an ATV.

When I went to a dealership to inquire some information, they told me that they cannot legal sell me an ATV for a five year old. Now I live in Kansas and I cannot find a State law that has a riding age requirement. I have not been able to find a Federal Law that states age. Does anyone know of a Kansas State Law or a Federal Law that specifies age?

I plan on getting him a 50cc Youth ATV. I have not narrowed it down to a specific brand. I am just looking as it is getting to spring time here.

Thank you for your time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Journeyman

Spike99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laws on Youth ATV riding

There are "county laws", "State laws" and "Federal laws" on the age and where one can and cannot ride a quad. The best thing to do is contact your local law enforcement office and ask them. When they explain it, ensure you write down the date and who you were speaking to - just in case you get any flack in the future.

In many regional areas, a youth can ride a youth-quad on private property. If your neighbours don't complain, the cops usually don't bother you either. If your kid gets hurt, it may void his health insurance. Ensure you check the fine print within your health insurance documentation as well.

I read one post (on another forum) where a kid was riding on private property and he accidently broke his arm. The type of accident was so rare, he should have bought a lotto ticket. When the kid was taken to the hospital, the medical officials dispatched a cop to ensure the kid was riding the proper sized cc engine, and he was driving on private property. That's how strict they are in that region.

For more details, surf info within: Press Here

Hope this helps...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Shirk

I'm turning 14 in june and I want to know if anyone knew if i could ride a blaster on privte property without breaking the law? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

YoungGun is an unknown quantity at this point

There are hundreds of kids that are riding atv's not their required size. The dealer won't usually say anything about it enless they know that it will be for someone under the age. So, just try not and tell the dealer that your son is under the required age limit. I know, that there is now way that I could fit onto the 50 or whatever that I'm supposed to be riding. I weigh 140 pounds, those things bottom out when I sit on them! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]lol
Old 04-07-2004, 12:52 PM
vrhalo

Thank you for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement