youth ATV vs. off-road go-kart? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2003, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default youth ATV vs. off-road go-kart?

i tried a search on 'kart', but i didn't come up with much. i am wondering what are the pros and cons of youth ATVs versus off-road go-karts? kids 8 and 10 years old. i have a 2 acre wooded lot with trails and slight hill.

anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 08:25 AM
tony1034

Default Re: youth ATV vs. off-road go-kart?

Good question ....

what comes to mind:
Go-carts come in two seaters so you can buy just one.
Go-carts are typically cheaper.
ATV's can be ridden in more places.
ATV's will probably be faster.
You can go to ATV parks and races.
Kids may get bored/outgrow faster on the go-cart ...maybe?

What I really don't know about is safety. You'd think just like in a car, you're safer than on a motorcycle. But with ATV's and go-carts going off-road, I'm not so sure. Go carts typically very little suspension, if one at all. The brakes are for sure better on youth ATVs. Do you have an idea of which ATV and which go-carts you're looking at?

Tony P.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2003, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw tis one kid in a go_kart just about turn tonmush,because of having no supension on small bumps that I was flying over. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
But I think atv are safer I had to jump off mine at times.
Like going in to a deep puddle(lake) if I was in a go-kart I might have been killed. [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 07:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

not sure about exact models yet. the local tractor supply store has karts, but they have very little suspension and some only drive one wheel...so these are not an option.

which one (youth ATV or go-kart) requires more land or property? this is a concern for me because i'm not sure how much i will be able to take the kids to other riding areas?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:19 AM
tony1034

The go-cart will require much more flat, smooth open space. The ATV will get along better in any area. The go-carts you see sold at most stores (Walmart, Lawnmower Shops, etc.) typically have no suspension and lack power. They are more for a recreational ride, and not much for sport. If you're serious about a go-cart, you really want to look into buggies. These are go-carts with 125cc, 150cc, 175cc, 250cc off-road engines (like ATVS and Dirtbikes). They have a full suspension, disc brakes, roll cage, etc. But then you're talking more about an adult toy.

It sounds like you're really looking for a quad.

Another note: Youth ATVs will hold their value far better than any go-cart.

Good luck,

Tony P.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I completely agree with Tony. You should get your kid an atv. I reccomend the Lem Caymen 50 if your kid wants to race, but for recreation I reccomend the Xtreme pro 100.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:24 PM
MattFisher

I have 2 issues with the LT50 suggestion:

One, it makes a terrible racer.
Two, it's too small for any 8-10 year old I can think of.

Something like a Kasea Skyhawk 90 or the mentioned Xtreme would work out great. Plan on spending some additional dough on proper riding gear.

[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 AM

yasmine is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed go kart, since my cousin used to tell stories about her sports indoor go kart racing san diego.

Last edited by yasmine; 10-05-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 AM

mellg is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I think this 8 years old post, now trend is totally change.

Have a look @ my 2010 Polaris Sportsman 90 youth Four Wheeler Atv

Specialties of my ATV
  1. Model: 2010 POLARIS Sportsman 90 Youth
  2. Power: Reliable 89 cc 4-stroke engine with electric start
  3. Transmission: AWD, Automatic PVT transmission with reverse
  4. Suspension: Long-travel front and rear suspension keeps the ride smooth & Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement