e ton 90 cc not starting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default e ton 90 cc not starting

a friend brought me his son's eton 90 after sitting for about a year. i removed the carb, cleaned it and drained the gas from the tank. i installed the carb and tried to crank with no luck. it will fire after sitting with the fuel off, but only for a second, then shut down. what gives?
i have removed and cleaned the carb three times with the same result. I have spark with the plug removed and attached to the coil wire. i have fuel entering the head and air entering the head. could the coil be going bad, just not toast yet?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2003, 06:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: e ton 90 cc not starting

It could be a number of things. First, check the pilot jet for obstructions. 2nd, check the auto choke & make sure it is opening. Is it getting oil ? Was the petcock left on while it was sitting ? I would re-check the pilot jet, ( make sure you can see through it), drain any old gas from the tank, to be sure it is getting enough oil in the mix, mix a gallon of gas with a good premix oil at 32:1 (4oz. to a gallon) , use a new spark plug and try to fire it up. If it had fuel in the tank while sitting, and the petcock was left on, enough fuel could have passed into the cylinder, filling the crankcase. If this is the case, pull the spark plug, turn kill switch to the "off" position. Crank the engine. Is a gas mist squirting from the spark plug hole ? If so, turn it over until the gas spray is gone. re-instal the plug & try to start. Also, check compression, reeds , & crank seals. I think your coil is fine. Since it starts but will not stay running, it pretty much sounds to be carb related.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Master, thank you for the help. I have not left the petcok open during sitting. and i have thoroughly cleaned the pilot and main jets. i removed the carb bowl and reemoveed all jets and springs and washers and cleaned. i screwed the jets all the way in until they were snug. i then put the bowl back on and installed the air and fuel mixture screws. installed the carb and turned the petcock on. i hit the starter until gas was flowing and it doesn't start. i shut off the petcok and wait about 2 or 3 minutes and hit the starter with the throttle wfo and it will fire and sputter for about 2 or 3 seconds then nothing.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you turning the gas back on when your tring to start it. If so it sounds like your float is stuck. You either have a bad needle and seat, or a burr on the pin that holds the float, or a little trash on the needle and seat.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks shano, i will pull the carb again and check for these conditions
Old 02-12-2003, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, I don't think it's your float sticking. If it were you would have gas pouring out of the overflow of the carb. In the year that it was sitting, if the petcock was left on, you could have a buildup of old fuel in the crankcase area. Even if the petcock was off, if it seeps a tiny bit, it could do this. Usually when you open the throttle WFO & it starts, it's due to flooding, or, not enough air for the fuel.
If i recall, there is only an air screw & an idle adjustment on the carb. the idle is the one directly in line with the slide in the carb. You may have this too far in. The air screw should be 1 1/2 turns out to start with.
Now, there is another possibility. Make sure the exhaust is not plugged up. when a machine sits for a year, mud-dobbers really like to build nests in small areas. i ran across this on an old YZ490 that was brought to me as a basket case to rebuild. After rebuilding, I kicked my brains out to only get it to "pop" once in awhile. Then I noticed that when it tried to start, nothing was coming out of the exhaust. Bingo ! the attack of the mud-dobbers !
Another thing would be to unbolt the pipe from the cylinder. Look into the exhaust port. Is it carboned up ? If so, you will have to remove the cylinder & use a dremmel tool or something to clean out the exhaust port. i hope this helps. I will be on here breifly tommorrow, but will be gone for a week after that. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:54 AM
tony1034

Is gas flowing out of the tank freely? Remove the fuel line from the carb and drain into a coffee can. How does the plug look? Replace it with a new one. I beleive the e-ton uses the same plug as the Kasea. NGK B8HS or B7HS (hotter).

Tony P.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for all your help! sorry it took so long. I refinanced my house only to find that during the termite inspection, i had them. i had to remove everything from the walls in the garage so they could drill and put chemical in th holes. then i put everything back before i could work on this machine. I used the same spark plug that i had and pulled it and sprayed starting fluid in the cylinder, put the plug back and it fired and ran. i let it idle and get warmed up then adjusted the carb settings for the best performance. i still have to install the plastic guard over te head and the fan cover- no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.