Kasea Skyhawk 90 Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2002, 06:16 AM
tony1034

Default Kasea Skyhawk 90 Questions

Hi All,

I've been looking into getting my son a youth quad and after reading all the posts, i've decided on a Kasea Skyhawk 90. Raptor720 and his comments have been very helpful in making this decision. I emailed him some questions I had about this quad (havn't heard back from him yet) but I figured many people on this board may have the same questions.

I went to my local Kasea dealer and they have the Skyhawk 90 at $2,150. The Kasea website does not list MSRP. This price seems high. The person Raptor720 spoke to on this BBS, ronone6 seems to have gotten a sweet deal on one $1,699. But it took a while with the dealer and they had hit a few speedbumps. But they were selling new ones for $1,899.

Some basic questions I was hoping he could answer, or anyone else with knowledge of the Kasea and other minis:

How fast is a bone-stock Kasea 90?

How much power does it make and whats the stock RPM range?

How much of a difference does the removal of the throttle limiter make in speed and engine revs?

Raptor 720 mentioned installing a Uni air filter and changing the jet size. How much of a difference does this make on performance and can you buy the main jet rather than drilling one out?

I also checked out Trinity's web site. It appears you can really modify the heck out of one of these little quads. But is it worth going that far, or would you even want to? I'd like the bike to still be reliable and safe. I also don't want it to be too loud and piss off my neighbors and attract unwanted attention.

What kind of other mods are available on the Kasea? Can the brakes be better, tires, suspension (any recommendations). I want to get the bike and let my son get acquainted with it first before I modify it. Then I have no problem spending a grand on it if it's worth it. Basically, I'd like to know in what order do you recommend going?

Finally, If anyone has knowledge of the Raptor 80, I'd like to know the differences. How fast is a stock Raptor 80. I know my neighbors Raptor 80 is shaft driven with a 3 spd tranny. How does the Kasea shift gears? Or, does it not have gears but instead one of those centrifigul belt and pulley systems you see on go-carts? And if so, can this be modified, or does it need to be if the engine is modified? I'm not interested in a Raptor 80, but my neighbor's kid has one and I'd like to know the differences.

Thanks,
Tony P.
Ocean County, NJ

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Kasea Skyhawk 90 Questions

Tony:

How fast is a bone-stock Kasea 90?

28mph (complies with the CPSC restricted guidelines)

How much power does it make and whats the stock RPM range?

3-5hp like the others and runs about 5-8000rpm

How much of a difference does the removal of the throttle limiter make in speed and engine revs?

Speed increases to about 32-35 but the main thing you notice is more power. RPM is governed by gearing, clutch and roller weight

Raptor 720 mentioned installing a Uni air filter and changing the jet size. How much of a difference does this make on performance and can you buy the main jet rather than drilling one out?

There are people who think that drilling a jet is a no no. They have no experience with these machines. Remove the restrictor sleeve and the tube leading into the stock air box and a .032" drill makes it run perfect. Add a different air filter and .034" usually works with the needle raised one position. Add a pipe and .037 is about spot on. Obviously altitude, compression and other factors matter. I have heard that some people have found jets. I simply have never had the need to purchase them.

I also checked out Trinity's web site. It appears you can really modify the heck out of one of these little quads. But is it worth going that far, or would you even want to? I'd like the bike to still be reliable and safe. I also don't want it to be too loud and piss off my neighbors and attract unwanted attention.

I have one Kasea fully modified with 2 years of hard racing. Upon inspection, you could not tell any difference from a motor that was 4 hours old. Reliable -- virtually the same as stock but you still have maintenance!!! Safe -- that depends on the maturity of your rider. Obviously we cannot control your rider. I will say that kids on modified machines have the necessary tools (power) to properly control the ATV. The stock machines are the ones kids usually wreck.

What kind of other mods are available on the Kasea? Can the brakes be better, tires, suspension (any recommendations). I want to get the bike and let my son get acquainted with it first before I modify it. Then I have no problem spending a grand on it if it's worth it. Basically, I'd like to know in what order do you recommend going?

Tires. The best prices I have found are in Dirt Wheels Mag. Look to spend about $250 - 300 for a good MX set on rims. Stock shocks are fine for the first 6mths to year of riding. Then Works or a suspension/shock package is in line (about a grand).
Start with the pipe, modified stock cylinder, reed petals, pulley, rear sprocket, air filter, rollers and tires.

Finally, If anyone has knowledge of the Raptor 80, I'd like to know the differences. How fast is a stock Raptor 80. I know my neighbors Raptor 80 is shaft driven with a 3 spd tranny. How does the Kasea shift gears? Or, does it not have gears but instead one of those centrifigul belt and pulley systems you see on go-carts? And if so, can this be modified, or does it need to be if the engine is modified? I'm not interested in a Raptor 80, but my neighbor's kid has one and I'd like to know the differences.

The Raptor 80 is a Badger in new plastic. Competition for the Raptor 80 is the LEM 50 stock. It is junk.
The Kasea uses a fully automatic transmission - belt driven. MOds include rollers and a pulley to start all the way to a completely redesigned trans for the super mods.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2002, 07:44 AM
tony1034

Default Re: Kasea Skyhawk 90 Questions

Wow! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for the reply! Good stuff. I'm going to see if the Kasea dealer by my house will make a deal on the 90. I checked the Internet and I couldn't find a single Kasea 50 or 90 for sale. My guess is most people probably hand them down to their younger kids or relatives. Or, there is always a friend or neighbor close by that wants it.

I wonder if they race youth quads at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park (aka Englishtown Raceway Park). I'll have to check it out.

Raptor720,

Do you have any recommendations on youth helmets? I have a HJC cl-X4 Fuel in yellow to match my 400EX. I want a Skyhawk 90 in yellow and thought about getting the matching youth size helmet for my son. But I don't know if its the lightest helmet out there. Sometimes i can really feel the weight of my helmet when I ride hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement