LT-A50 ignition system: How does it work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Youth ATV

Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2002, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default LT-A50 ignition system: How does it work?

I have been given an old Suzuki 50 quad, probably an LT-A50. It has the pull start mechanism missing and am wondering if this contains any igntion components? I can't find any points or electronic equivalent (PEI?) There is a coil beneath the flywheel and one wire which leads directly to the coil, which has branches off to a kill switch on the bars and another mounted at the rear of the I can't see any spare connectors where anything else would be wired in. Whats missing? Any one got a manual or diagram? Ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2002, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: LT-A50 ignition system: How does it work?

Nothing is missing. Just go get that pull starter assy and bolt it on.

There are no points or sensor as you might expect. It uses a pulse coil and a cdi box to fire the plug.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2002, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for that. At least i know where my cdi isn't! All I can see is the single coil under the fywheel and an ignition coil bolted to the frame. So where is the CDI? The wire from the coil under the flywheel goes straight to the ign coil, with connectors off it going to the kill switches. I can't see where anything else would connect in or even be mounted. What's missing, what does it look like and where does it go? Am I being amazingly stupid or is what I take to be a simple ign coil is some bit of electrickery that controls the spark too? I get current from the primary coil but nothing from the ign coil but I assume that's cos there' s nothing to make and break the circuit and throw a spark. Help!!
Old 05-07-2002, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the spark is controlled by the a/c wave changing on the pulse coil output. Look up a schematic on basic ignitions and you will see what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.