Rhino needs more power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Yamaha UTV Forum The one that started the revolution - the Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 05:32 PM
regmccutcheon

Rhino needs more power

I just bought a new rhino and put 27in. tires on it. Works great in the rough stuff and fantastic for crawling but need more power. Heard through the grapevine there is a different torque converter and other things to pep it up but haven't been able to get a lock on this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Reg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Rhino needs more power

HMF makes an exhaust for it, they say 3 HP gain at low end, 4 HP gain at mid range, and a 5 HP gain on the top end. Also, since it is the same moter as the Grizzly, you can put a Grizzly CDI on it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast

put the grizzly 660 cdi in it, it works fine as long as you dont get the lcd dash. Highlifter makes a clutch mod for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1294993-rhino.jpg (58.3 KB, 97 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 12:48 PM
BlackRhino

I haven't done tires/wheels yet, but I've got the Grizzly CDI and the HMF pipe on mine w/ 165 jets. It really made my Rhino come alive. I have to watch my foot around turns or it'll do a full lock power slide on me. Highly recommended combination. A warning though: some of the folks with Griz CDIs are experiencing intermitted lost of power. The general conscensus is that the Griz uses different voltages than the Rhino, and this might be causing damage to the CDI. I'm in the process of hooking up with a vendor that sells aftermarket Grizzly CDIs that offer a more aggressive power band and higher RPM. I want to see what it'll take to modify for the Rhino. Also looking into various fabrications for the Rhino, too early to talk about, but lot's of interesting bolt-on stuff. Drop me an email if you want and I'll keep you posted on the progress of Rhino performance mods.
bhart@starband.net [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regmccutcheon View Post
I just bought a new rhino and put 27in. tires on it. Works great in the rough stuff and fantastic for crawling but need more power. Heard through the grapevine there is a different torque converter and other things to pep it up but haven't been able to get a lock on this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Reg
have you tried the AFE intake system? it produces an increase of 2 hp and 2lb of torque. 103% airflow over factory intake. and the afterburner twin. it increases torque and hp. hope this info helps may not be exactly what youre looking for but hey i tried.

jason
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM

hello..

Dynatek CDI's, the only way to go.They ar a proven good CDI that i have only heard. CDI isn't really going to make more power, it is basically moving the rev limiter to around 9000 which allows the engine to go faster than the stock limiter and also removes the reverse limiter.Carburetors,exhaust systems and tire are the parts that can be upgraded for better performance…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode