Choosing a Side-by-Side - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
UTV Lounge General Utility Terrain Vehicle discussions, hanging out and sharing tips.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
RobertJ

Choosing a Side-by-Side

I'm looking at buying a side by side, but I have no experience with them. I currently have a Kawasaki Prairie 400 Atv and it is all the experience that I have with Atvs. I am looking for something to use around the farm to move trailers and check sprinklers. The trailers are not that big and I can move them with my Kawasaki just fine so I shouldn't need anything too big. I also want to be able to explore trails above a friends cabin. I have heard that the Polaris Ranger is good for farm work but not so good off road and I have heard that the Rhino is not so good for farm work but good off-road. Those are the only ones that I have heard about but I am willing to look at others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I am in the CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
I'm looking at buying a side by side, but I have no experience with them. I currently have a Kawasaki Prairie 400 Atv and it is all the experience that I have with Atvs. I am looking for something to use around the farm to move trailers and check sprinklers. The trailers are not that big and I can move them with my Kawasaki just fine so I shouldn't need anything too big. I also want to be able to explore trails above a friends cabin. I have heard that the Polaris Ranger is good for farm work but not so good off road and I have heard that the Rhino is not so good for farm work but good off-road. Those are the only ones that I have heard about but I am willing to look at others.
You need to also look at the new Polaris RZR. It should be starting to show-up at dealers about now. The Polaris Ranger is definetly more of a work machine than a play machine. The Yamaha Rhino was built to serve both purposes, both sport and work. The new Polaris RZR is pure sport although it does have a 1" reciever hitch so you could potentialy hook up a trailer to it. But the rear bed is much smaller than the Rhino and does not have dump capabilities.

As far as trails the RZR is narrower than the Yamaha Rhino in stock form if your trails are not wide. But if you are riding on wider trails or roads either is going to fit just fine.

Just remember a side by side, even the smaller RZR, is not going to be able to fit on all the trails that an ATV will.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Mega Cab
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

a little more details about your *work* would help some. what kind of terrain do you ride? drove polaris's and i **PERSONALLY** dont care for the down hill freewheelin attitude they have. but im in eastern tn with mountains so the engine braking of the rhino and the smaller size was attractive for my family. I have had to mount a seat and rear cage in the bed for the daughter but thats a trade off of a 2 seater. the polaris is a bench seat with room for 3 if its needed. however, i do use the rhino for work everyday on the farm. if i put several hundred pounds in the bed on the rhino, it DOES make the front wheels light and makes turning harder because of the lack of traction on the front and the spool in the rear keeping it live drive. no spider gears in the rhino. yes it does tear up the grass when im in the yard, but i honestly do not worry about it, its just less to mow. wbhere are you located? best thing to do is go riding with somebody who has either one that your interested in and see which one better suits you. also check out RUV - Recreational Utility Vehicles - UtilityOffRoad.com, theres TONS of useful info there that im sure will help ya decide. if your close to eastern TN, come on buy with the quad, we'll go for a good ride, you can drive a 07 rhino and check it out...
BiLLy bOb

Head chef for izook eventshon
Do unto others as you want done to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I am in the CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
a little more details about your *work* would help some. what kind of terrain do you ride? drove polaris's and i **PERSONALLY** dont care for the down hill freewheelin attitude they have. but im in eastern tn with mountains so the engine braking of the rhino BiLLy bOb
You know the engine braking is the ONE thing that I am not thrilled with on the RZR. Like the Sportsman machines it has a tendency to freewheel on steep down hills. The brakes seem to hold it fine but I sure would prefer engine braking. I can get the engine braking to kick back in if I give it just a little throttle but sure not the preferred method.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Mega Cab
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dwaters,
your exactly right, with a little gas, it will spin up and then hold back. both are great machines as well as the mule, the bobcats, kubota's and all the other utv's out there.

robert,
how about a little more info on the trails you want to check out? kind of work you might do with it? riding style? for example, if your a 5-10 mph type guy, a kawi mule might be fine and dandy for you. if your a 30+ mph guy a ranger, rzr, rhino or prowler might be more along your line.

there is just too much unknown to me, for me to say go buy a rhino just cause i have one. researching your needs to the machines capabilities is the best way to decide. if you have access to some, take em for a test drive.
just my .o2.....
BiLLy bOb

Head chef for izook eventshon
Do unto others as you want done to you!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM
RobertJ

The work that it is used for is an almond orchard in California so it is flat and there is no need for engine braking what I did need was low profile. I ended up getting a Rhino 450 since it had a removable roll cage for work in the trees and a $2000 cheaper price tags than any of the other ones. So far it has done everything I have wanted it to. I have not had a chance to take it on any trails yet but I think it will do fine.

Last edited by RobertJ; 08-26-2007 at 07:56 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Stranger

I have a honda 500 rubicon atv. I just bought the arctic cat XTZ 1000 side by side. It is one great machine. It is my first side by side. It is wider than the RZR and a heck of a lot more powerful. I like it alot. It is pricey but I think it was worth it. The stock tires are too small. I put 28 inch Zillas on it and they make a big difference (didnt need a lift kit). Zilllas are less aggressive than the mudzillas
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Stranger

Thumbs up RZR engine braking

The company EPI offers a wide array of clutch kits that solve the engine braking problem on the RZR and RZR S. I have the woods/trail kit on my RZR S and couldn't be happier.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Apprentice

This thing is legit as is off the factory floor. But its money$$$

Last edited by writeforus; 07-14-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Image oversized
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

We get all excited and hyped-up about bigger-faster, go go go!! and forget that UTVs really started out as work horses, even if the pony had a little fun in it. We forget about the mid-size range of options.

Glad RobertJ let us know he ended up going with the Rhino 450, and it's serving him well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode