Electric Shift Problems (Honda Rancher 4x4 ES) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Utility/4x4 ATVs

Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

View Poll Results: column servo from a forklift
I have a 2005 Honda 350 Rancher ES that has a Electric Shifting problem. Where is this sensor you talk of located and what is the name of the sensor. 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Electric Shift Problems (Honda Rancher 4x4 ES)

My father has an 2004 Honda Rancher 4wd ES 350. One morning he attempted to put it into first gear and the neutral symbol on the gear indicator just blinked. After restarting the ATV it finally shifted. Also he pushes the shift button & I hear the shifter motor work, but it won't go into or out of gear. I have been told that something on the clutch or shifter motor has to be adjusted when this happens. Is this correct?

On another note, when he was going downhill, no pressure on the throttle, just freewhelling, he pushed the shift button & nothing happened. He stopped the ATV, restarted it, & it finally shifted. I am under the impression that this is because of a censor in the computer that dosen't allow the ATV to be shifted when it is freewhelling. Also, is this correct?

I need help with this before my father has a heart attack.
I would much appreciate this if someone could tell me how to correct these problems.

Thanks,
CJFackler2 [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Journeyman

Jimmy454JRC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electric Shift Problems (Honda Rancher 4x4 ES)

there is a sensor that can occasionaly go out. It is simple to replace and relatively inexpensive.

There is also an adjustment to be made that may help. How many miles are on it? Have you had the frist service done on it? When was the last time you changed the oil? And what kind of oil do you use?

Jesse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have done the first service. It has aproxamately 25 hours on Honda Oil. It has 1500 miles on it.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Journeyman

Well ...
I would suspect the sensor. However, You might want to try adjusting the clutches first.

Best case scenerio, take it into any reputable dealer and tell them the symptoms. They should have you fixed up under a couple of hours.

Jesse
Old 11-23-2004, 09:12 PM
4WheelingPlus

Interesting... I just bought my wife a new Honda Recon with the auto shift via push button.

It has under 1 mile on it and it's having shift issues as well.

If it the motor dies we have to make sure there is NO pressure on the rear tires to get it into neutral so that it will re-start. The shifting motor buzzes but it refuses to change gears.

This has caused a couple of scary scenarios:
1) I was reversing the 4wheeler out of my truck when the engine died. No matter what I did it would not restart. I had to climb off the 4wheeler and pick up the rear end all the while holding the brake so as not to run myself over.

2) After playing with the 4wheeler I climbed a small hill (4ft tall) in my yard... on the way down the back side the motor died and it would not restart since it was in gear. Again I had to lift the rear end up and roll the 4wheeler down the hill with the brake on so as not to roll over me...

How in the heck is my wife going to ride this thing?

Is this normal for Honda autoshifts?

- Ron
Old 11-25-2004, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sure drives me nuts too. I wish the he** we got a footshift now & not even fooled with this electic shi*. Every about Honda's are fine except for their luck with transmissions.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 PM
yamahaha05tech

take it back to your dealer!!! honda had issues with the company that made the first angle sensors for these models and has since switched companys. i have replaced several under warrenty.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:58 PM
clayrun1

Default Re: Electric Shift Problems (Honda 350 Rancher ES

I have a 2005 Honda 350 Rancher ES that has a Electric Shifting problem. Where is this sensor you talk of located and is the name of the sensor.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:02 PM
clayrun1

I have a 2005 Honda 350 Rancher ES that has a Electric Shifting problem. Where is this sensor you talk of located and what is the name of the sensor.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Journeyman

To regards to the ES from Honda, the bulk of the machines that are out in the last couple years have had little problem, however, the first years were very trying.

In regards to "4wheelingplus", what you are trying to do is to shift and auto clutch with no clutch. If the engine is running it has the ability to shift because the clutch plates are moving.

When you put pressure against any manual transmission the ability to shift is hindered. There is metal to metal contact and the more pressure against the gear, increases friction and hence the amount of "force" that is required to shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement