500 Scrambler belt tension adjustment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > Utility/4x4 ATVs

Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 12:03 AM
plainbroke

Default 500 Scrambler belt tension adjustment

Can anyone tell me how you adjust the belt tension on a Scrambler 500 2001 model?
My belt deflection is about 2 inches and from what I have found it is supposed to be 1 1/8" to 1 1/4".

What do yo do move the motor forward or the trans back.
I would think it would take very little movement to change it the amount needed..

I have already fried one belt (warrented) since I bought it in
May. Yes I bought an 01 model in may of 04 it was Cheap and carrys a new warrenty and I could not see any differances in it and the 04 model setting beside it besides color...

Maybe a link to the instructions or just tell me where to start I am a pretty good mechanic. have rebuilt and tuned the clutch on my 91 but the belt deflection was perfect on it after I replaced the lower motor mount.. What a pain that is.

Help please oh guru's of the quad world.. ;-) [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 11:28 AM
clutch

Default Re: 500 Scrambler belt tension adjustment

I own a 02 Scrambler and Sportsman, belt tension is adjusted the same way for both as yours is. This is done by removing or adding shims in the secondary clutch. #1 remove belt #2 remove bolt holding the secondary clutch on, do not over tighten this bolt when installing. #3 remove the clutch and bench it. THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY IS UNDER SPRING TENSION AND YOU SHOULD TAKE CAUTION. On the helex there is several holes make note which one has the colored spring in it. Next there will be a snap ring holding the helex on the shaft. You may want to get someone to help you remove the snap ring do to the tension on the clutch. You can do it by yourself but it is better if you have help. if you have a Visegrip "C" clamp hold the bottom sheeth and turn the top sheet counterclockwise just a little and using your "C" clamp, clamp both sheeths. Take a rubber mallot and tap the helex down to remove the snap ring. Remove the "C" clamp while having a firm grip on both sheeths. Once the tension has been relieved noting spring position in the helex and bottom position holes. (You will need to install the spring in the same holes when putting it back together) Remove the helex, spring and clutch sheeth. Around the shaft you will find several shims, to tighten the belt you remove a shim. Shims come in different thicknesses. Check how many shims is in there and remove one to start and reassemble sheeth. Install spring in the holes they came out of and then the helex. This is where it gets tricky. While holding the bottom and top sheeth turn the upper sheeth counterclockwise and the bottom clockwise 1/3rd turn and put your "C" clamp on. Push down the helex and install the snap ring. Remove "C" clamp and install the clutch on bike. Test for adjustment by putting into gear.
If the bike wants to roll in gear then you have removed to many shims.
It may take a couple times to get the right adjustment.
I hope this helps and be carefull!!!!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2004, 05:25 PM
plainbroke

That did not get me all the way to 1 1/8", and I am down to one shim do they make thinner ones for doing that adjustment???? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 09:44 PM
suzukiformez400

take it to the dealer its complicated
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
fabUnagma

Default chats italiane

ma le video chiamate con la webcam si pagano?...su fb,c'?? un modo x saxe se i personaggi famosi sono realmente loro o sono dei fan cn il loro nome???
Chat Campania
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Apprentice

ema is on a distinguished road

I also think that it should be pro-mechanic stuff. I believe you can also do it but just to play safe, let the mechanic do it. They could also advice you on getting the proper 4-Seasons Accessory Belt Tension Pulley. Only, you'll have to pay for the labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.