Off Roading Forums banner

Outfitting 83 4WD Pick Up for camping

Tags
camping winch
4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Simian 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 1983 Toyota 4WD short bed pickup basically for camping and secondarily for hauling stuff to the dump. I tend to get pretty deep in the mountains of northern NM. I have gotten the family subaru stuck deep in the mountains on more than one occasion. My wife doesn't like it when I do that thus the truck.

I'm pretty sure I'd like to have a winch installed. If anyone has suggestions/comments on that I'd love that hear them. I'm not sure if the stock alternator/battery are adequate. Also I don't know whether there is a bolt on winch mount that I can use or if I will need to have it welded on or fabricated?

The other thing I am wondering about is how to keep camping stuff from blowing out of the back while I'm on the highway. I need either a tonneau cover or a camper shell. Since my secondary use for the truck is to haul junk to the dump not having to remove a camper shell is a modest benefit but I don't go to the dump THAT often. So the added volume of a shell is a plus too. I've never been around a truck with a tonneau cover so I don't know what it's like to use one. As far as I can no one makes camper shells for this vehicle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.