New noises - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Tas
Novice

New noises

Hey everyone, it's been a long time! Hopefully there are still some experts on here that have gone through this:

My toy is an '82 4x4 longbed, with an '86 22R and a 5 speed manual tranny from a 4 runner of unknown year.

This all started quite a while ago with kind of a deep, constant moan-like sound when driving on the highway in 5th. Didn't seem to effect performance, so I simply ignored it. Last week, I had to go over the pass to the beach for a school residency, and noticed a new noise while there: a very slight pinging sound in 1st or 2nd gear, almost imperceptible, but there. It almost sounded like the flywheel was hitting the starter selanoid intermittently, but I don't see how that's possible. Also, sometimes when I put it in gear from a stop and released the clutch, there was a loud ping, sounding like someone tapped the drive shaft once with a hammer. Weird. Then, once I got back over the pass and into my hometown again, just a few miles from my house, I noticed yet another noise: another kind of deep, moaning sound when I let off the gas in first or second gear and let the engine rev down. This seems to be accompanied with more rolling resistance and vibration then normal, but I can't place the source. Once home, I crawled under the truck and tried moving and wiggling the drive shaft near both u-joints to see if they're going bad, but the thing is rock solid. I've had to replace the throw-out bearing twice, and these sounds /symptoms don't really remind me of those days. Any thoughts? Pumpkin issues maybe? A bearing on the rear differential possibly? Transmission failing? I have no clue.

APOC-HI-LUX
GRASSHOPPER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Addict

well, my first guess was u joint. did you check for play in neutral with the brake set? did you double check the front shaft as well? check pinion for play. is there much freeplay in the axle when rotating driveshaft? sorry, i couldn't be more help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tas
Novice

Thanks for the info Stump runner. I will check the whole thing again after reading this.

APOC-HI-LUX
GRASSHOPPER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode