my parts truck? or my new beater fun truck? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Addict

my parts truck? or my new beater fun truck?

I just picked up another '89 4runner for $800. My intent was to take the 3.0 out to replace my old grey '89 with a blown head gasket and other problems. the "new" (white) one was flopped on the passenger a pillar, and right side body panels. I'm playing with the idea of fixing up some of the problems with the white one.

needs:
"A" pillar jacked back out a bit(half an inch)
windshield ($40 at you pull it)
not too sure about the auto trans (only goes into 1st when shifted to "L", might try some trans flush? $130 at yard)
cat to pass smog ($60 for universal fit)
need to check out the rear diff (pinion yoke has some unusual play in it- like if the nut is loose?)

If I do fix it I'll spray a winter camo pattern on it to help the wrinkles not look so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Addict

I'm not really sure what to think. the pinion flange had some play in it but the pinion shaft is solid. the nut was dimpled into the keyway(looked like factory). it took a quarter turn of the nut to take out the play in the flange. should I torque it to spec and drive it or what?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Addict

just an update.

Think the crush sleeve in the rear dif might be jacked up, but I took only the play out of the pinion flange nut and put it back together. likely not right but better than it was when I bought it. Got a cat for free, from a minivan my friend was going to scrap for weight. welded it in. ran some marvel mystery oil in the engine while driving around today and changed the oil tonight. was idling about 300rpm but very smoothly when hot. also had a bit of pinging in the freeway. set timing from 30btdc to 10btdc and adjusted the idle. also drove with some trans flush today. still have to force first gear but other gears all work. seems to short shift regardless of throttle position. kick down cable? this week I'll take it to emissions testing and get it licensed. other stuff will have to wait a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Passed emissions testing yesterday and got licensed! I'm thinking that the trans actually is not shifting into 2nd at all. I can force first, but when I shift 2nd it is a huge shift (like 3rd instead) I can feel the other shifts into OD and lockup. thinking bad shift servo? any advice?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I've been looking at the auto transmission diagnostic for a 94 that i found online. I've decided that shift solenoid1 isn't working. still need to finish troubleshooting that. got really frustrated because apparently the 89 has a separate transmission control computer, where the 94 it part of the ecu. downloaded and saved the FSM for 88 and just located the ECT module tonight. won't be able to get back to it for a while. Grandpa turned 95 so we're going on a road trip for the party.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Truck's been sitting for quite a while, however, last night I installed the new shift solenoid! I just have to top off trans fluid and test it out when I get home tonight (as well as fix a few other things. #1 will be windshield)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump runner View Post
I've been looking at the auto transmission diagnostic for a 94 that i found online. I've decided that shift solenoid1 isn't working. still need to finish troubleshooting that. got really frustrated because apparently the 89 has a separate transmission control computer, where the 94 it part of the ecu. downloaded and saved the FSM for 88 and just located the ECT module tonight. won't be able to get back to it for a while. Grandpa turned 95 so we're going on a road trip for the party.
hey there mate i need that auto transmission diagnostic im not really internet savvy in searching in google and it really gives me a head ache looking for this online guide so please send me a link mate. currently looking for a good auto parts site now just in case i need to get a new part. sigh.

I get my parts from autopartswarehouse ,if you know better sites then send me a private message. I'm currently preparing for a restoration project. I will post a thread and pictures soon.

Last edited by andreasue; 12-02-2011 at 07:58 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Quick update: Still more work to do, but the trans seems to be working beautifully!

andreasue: I found the link again for you. The 1984-1989 Toyota 4Runner FSM is '88 specific. It takes quite a while to download.(1468 pgs)

Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page

To all: There are quite a few FSM's and other manuals at this page ranging from '79 to '07
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I FINALLY got back to my project. the thing is I switched directions and am going to fix the original grey 4runner. this afternoon i got a decent start at pulling the engine. hopefully get it on the engine stand tomorrow. when I'm done I'll set aside a few spare parts and part out the rest.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Addict

the engine is out of the parts truck! going to go through and make sure any oil leaks are sealed up and throw in a new t belt and water pump. I'm also going to swap in my old injectors since I just had them tested and cleaned not too long ago. sure looking forward to driving my old truck again. hope i can get it done before summer is over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode