Very good upgrade from Rancho! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Very good upgrade from Rancho!

So I've been a loyal Rancho shock user for the last 20 years.
For the first time, I thought I'd try a different brand.

I did a little net research and found that many folks like the bilsteins.

But I also found a lot of folks on the rail between KYB MonoMax and Bilstein HD/5100 shocks. Most were claiming the bilsteins had a firmer ride than the KYBs.

So I bought a set of KYB MonoMax shocks for the Fj62. They are replacing my rancho 9000's

I feel like an idiot for sticking with Ranchos for sooooo long! The KYB's feel like shocks should! Every little pebble is felt, but the big holes are sucked up.

It's almost like the kyb's are faster? the feedback to the driver is something I never had with ranchos. The body roll is almost gone, the brake dive is totally gone. When lane changing at 80 mph, the rig no longer has the feeling of over steering and swushing(new word).

Cost was $52. each, and this is by far and away the best money spent so far.

85 PU & 91 Runner(2door)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I had the KYB Gas-a-djust shocks on my '85 initially and I found them quite nice on the road and in mild off road use. But I did find they were a bit soft for the big rocks, I think they are valved for progressively stiffer response as the speed increases. But at a near stand still, I found they let the body move around too much when dropping off a big rock or similar. But yes, for most normal use they do work fine for a low cost shock, have not tried the MonoMax model.

Rancho did also come out with an improved 9000 model shock, the 9000XL. It is gas charged and they even have a remote reservoir on some models. The ride over the old 9000s is quite an improvement:

Granted they are more money that the KYBs, though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
I had the KYB Gas-a-djust shocks on my '85 initially and I found them quite nice on the road and in mild off road use. But I did find they were a bit soft for the big rocks, I think they are valved for progressively stiffer response as the speed increases. But at a near stand still, I found they let the body move around too much when dropping off a big rock or similar. But yes, for most normal use they do work fine for a low cost shock, have not tried the MonoMax model.

Rancho did also come out with an improved 9000 model shock, the 9000XL. It is gas charged and they even have a remote reservoir on some models. The ride over the old 9000s is quite an improvement:

Granted they are more money that the KYBs, though.

Hi Roger, I still see your rig from time to time. I feel strongly about this shock realization, as I've been drinking the Rancho coolade for about 17 years. Started with 5000 then 9000 and the 9000x. I found all of these to be very poor designs, but I had no clue, so I kept using them.

Over the last couple of months I gone wheeling with some friends in Fj55 and Fj60's. The 55 was running KYB MonoMax and the 60 had the MonoMax in the front and Gas-A-just in the rear. Both of the rigs handled the ride better than my Fj62 or 85 PU ever did. The friend with the 55 took a ride in my 62 and within minutes, stated my shocks were the problem. I was like, No way! there Rancho 9000X shocks. He replied, he'd gone from Ranchos to KYB's and that did it for his rig.

So I bought them and I was shocked at how well the KYB's worked. I now have a hard time grouping the Ranchos as shocks.

The 9000x shocks I removed were in perfect condition, and I sold the set for $200. I felt a little guilty selling them, as I really feel I should of thrown them in the trash.

You are in the position of not being able to use the MonoMax, because of your lift.

My rig now rides more like my VFR800 (with it's $1100. Penske shock), and I like it.

85 PU & 91 Runner(2door)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, the KYBs are pretty decent shocks for the price. I have run them on my '85 back about 12 years ago (as mentioned above) and they were nice for 99% of the stuff I did. Only thing I didn't like with them was rock crawling on tight trails where they just allowed too much body roll when dropping off rocks/logs/ledges, etc. I remember a few times slowly dropping off a boulder and having the body flop over to the side and bash into a rock or tree beside the trail. It just seemed at very slow speeds, they were too soft. At normal driving speeds, where the damping speeds are higher, they stiffen right up.

I think the older Rancho 5K/9K shocks are just simple hydraulic shocks, no special valving or anything. And aside from the adjustablility of the 9Ks, they are nothing special. The new XL models are a definite improvement, though. They are gas charged and seem to be a better shock all around. They are softer than the old 9000/9000X shocks, but you can still adjust them up and down as needed. I am set up with the in-cab controller and I really like being able to adjust the shocks to match the terrain as driving.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
Yes, the KYBs are pretty decent shocks for the price. I have run them on my '85 back about 12 years ago (as mentioned above) and they were nice for 99% of the stuff I did. Only thing I didn't like with them was rock crawling on tight trails where they just allowed too much body roll when dropping off rocks/logs/ledges, etc. I remember a few times slowly dropping off a boulder and having the body flop over to the side and bash into a rock or tree beside the trail. It just seemed at very slow speeds, they were too soft. At normal driving speeds, where the damping speeds are higher, they stiffen right up.

I think the older Rancho 5K/9K shocks are just simple hydraulic shocks, no special valving or anything. And aside from the adjustablility of the 9Ks, they are nothing special. The new XL models are a definite improvement, though. They are gas charged and seem to be a better shock all around. They are softer than the old 9000/9000X shocks, but you can still adjust them up and down as needed. I am set up with the in-cab controller and I really like being able to adjust the shocks to match the terrain as driving.
I was tempted to get the XL's because of the fancy wireless controller.

85 PU & 91 Runner(2door)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM

Ive been loyal to bilstein for more than 10 years and i didn't change brand up to now. But for my next change i will try KYB or rancho because ive been hearing positive feedback about it from my friends whether off-road or in the road so i just wanna try. Well i hope my decision is right lol i dont wanna have regrets and blame my friends in the end.lol well anyway sorry for digging this one i just wanna share my thought im no expert on car parts. peace out!

Last edited by nbaker; 07-29-2011 at 10:13 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I can't speak about my KYBs off-road. But as a daily driver, I don't like them. They seem too stiff for me. I also ran Ranchos for years 5K, 9K, adjustables. The Ranchos started leaking early and failed too soon, but the price was OK. What I noticed about the Ranchos was sometimes they would get really stiff (failing) and some of them would lose their shocking (failing).

I think I would have to test a few to see what the real results would be. I am thinking about putting on a new set of *something* that will provide a smoother ride for the street. Since I don't off-road with my 86, I don't really care how they would perform on a trail.

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 07-28-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode