Where are all U old timers posting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Where are all U old timers posting?

Where are all U old timers posting these days? Myself? I've been over at mud with my new love(Fj62).

Every time I come to this site there's fewer post. Remember when this was one of the best sites? if not one of the only, off road that is.

I'm thinking in 10 or 20 years, it may become #1 again.

85 PU & 91 Runner(2door)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM

I have kinda gone local.

black hills 4 wheelers.
i8mud
pirate

built a truck for my wife

not much traffic here anymore.

after my trail runs part dissapeared I kind of lost interest over here.

been busy with a remodle of the house for what seems like for ever.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Journeyman

I remember when this site was the best for off road. What ever happened to Chris - seemed like he was one of the originators with his 1990 4Runner to Solid Axle it.

I now have a Fj40 and hang on IH8mud or pirate4x4

1989, 4:88, Lockright/True Trac, NWOR 4" rear/ All Pro 5" Solid Axle Swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Where are all U old timers posting these days? Myself? I've been over at mud with my new love(Fj62).

Every time I come to this site there's fewer post. Remember when this was one of the best sites? if not one of the only, off road that is.

I'm thinking in 10 or 20 years, it may become #1 again.
Yeah, this was THE Toyota site for awhile. And it was fun! Although it's a nice thought, I doubt that it will make a comeback. I was posting on another site for awhile, but like most sites I've been on, the moderators got too caught up with their "authority" and censorship. If the participating moderator doesn't "like" what you post, you are dinged. Or if you go against the moderators "opinion", you are dinged. I've experienced it on several sites and it's ridiculous. Actually, this site is one of a few that doesn't seem to over-moderate - (Thank you Adminstrators and Moderators!).

Unless there is a flagrant breach of reasonable policies, the posts and threads should allowed to run their course. A case in point, some the best threads ever on this Toyota site that precipitated some of the best technical knowledge, opinions, experiences, and interest, were laced with flaming and raging debate. And, then we went onto another hot and spicy topic.

On one site in particular, there was lots of BS and non-factual posts and comments, especially on the technical topics. I've read posts with advice that were just plain wrong, and posted as fact. I posted a rebuttal to correct the idiotic post, but because the poster's opinion was the moderators, I get dinged.

Oh well, at the end of the day, who cares.

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 08-22-2011 at 06:52 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I find it a shame that so much of the original Toy4x4 section tech article links no longer work. Sometimes you can search for the new location and find it, but other times it seems the information is gone. There was a lot of good basic information there at one time:
- http://toyota.off-road.com/trucks-4x...age-19247.html

Seems like everything got reorganized/moved into the new directory structure at some point and nobody went back and updated the old links. When I move stuff around on my web site, I leave redirection stubs in all the old file locations to redirect users to the new file location, so you never get that old 404/file not found error page if at all possible.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
I find it a shame that so much of the original Toy4x4 section tech article links no longer work. Sometimes you can search for the new location and find it, but other times it seems the information is gone. There was a lot of good basic information there at one time:
- http://toyota.off-road.com/trucks-4x...age-19247.html

Seems like everything got reorganized/moved into the new directory structure at some point and nobody went back and updated the old links. When I move stuff around on my web site, I leave redirection stubs in all the old file locations to redirect users to the new file location, so you never get that old 404/file not found error page if at all possible.
Yeah, that's a real shame. We had posted so much good stuff from so many people - like Roger Brown and Benjamin. I think it boils down to marketing. The site seems to be more about sales and marketing than about tech. Or, someone with the controls just doesn't have a clue of the value of 12 years of posts and threads.

Customer Service is quickly coming an ancient philosophy!

gNARLS

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 09-18-2011 at 07:20 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X View Post
Yeah, that's a real shame. We had posted so much good stuff from so many people - like Roger Brown and Benjamin. I think it boils down to marketing. The site seems to be more about sales and marketing than about tech. Or, someone with the controls just doesn't have a clue of the value of 12 years of posts and threads.

Customer Service is quickly coming an ancient philosophy!
Yes, folks like that forget that is is CONTENT that brings folks to a web site. Then once they are there, you can hit them with ads and what not. But if there is no content, nobody will come in the first place.

Pity is that I suspect all the content is still here, some place. But the links to it are all broken and it is basically lost.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone know what happened to the eye-bleeding Weber 38 thread ??
I still get an occasional newbie that throws out way too many questions, that old link used to be my favorite way to give them something to do...
Sarge

Midwest Performance Parts
Weber Modifications/Rebuilds & Parts
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Addict

Its archived here:

Off Road Toyota Forum - Weber 32/36DGV verses the Weber 38DGES

are you still tuning Webers?

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Holland View Post
..are you still tuning Webers?

Nahhh.... I think the Webers have "tuned' him!!

gNARLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode