Off Roading Forums banner

Problem with vacuum 89 p/u 22r, diagram not showing all lines.

8K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  4Crawler 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I have a chiltons manual.
It does not show all the vacuum lines.
I went to auto zone online, they have the same thing.

Problem started after I had my head gasket done.
I got the thing home and turned on the A/C, it surged.
I took it back the tech/mechanic said I had crossed lines.
The A/C worked fine.

Saturday I put on a new BVSV or emission control valve.
The A/C starts surging again.
Yes I put the two lines back right. That was hard even for me to mess up.

My top line off the VSV EVAP is going to one of the 3 ports on the reed valve, its supposed to go to the bottom. The FUNKY thing is my top line has a tee in it and one line goes to the one of the 3 ports on the reed valve, the other line goes to an electrical valve of some kind mounted on the wheel well. In turn the 2nd line coming off this valve goes to the IDLE up on the throttle. Which is surging when the A/C is turned on. I KNOW the diagram shows one line going to the bottom port off the reed valve.

My VSV AI top line goes to the port on bottom of the reed valve, which according to the diagram is supposed to be on one of the 3 ports on the side.

I swapped the lines and put the one tee'd off onto the IDLE up. I got a very high idle. I put them back where the tech/mechanic had them.

Right now I'm running it with the one line going to the IDLE up disconnected. The A/C runs fine and cools normally. My engine temp is normal. The engine idles normally.

NO diagram I have seen shows this tee and the lines split. I asked toyota about diagrams, no luck. My manual does not even show the IDLE up on the throttle. Its not shown on the vacuum diagram either.

I have no idea what this valve is on the wheel well. It is not showing up on any diagram I have seen. It is a toyota part.

ANY help is appreaciated.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Got the 1-800 # for toyota manuals from the dealership parts dept.
Got a tech guy on the phone and I asked about the diagrams before I would buy the manual. Great guy. He copied the pages with diagrams and faxed them to me.

Same thing as the chiltons manual, does not show the idle up vacuum line nor this phantom valve/switch that has the line running to the idle up.

Do not see a knob on the valve itself.
Solid body, the vacuum line plugs in. The thing shoots the needle (bottom side) out that engages the throttle.

I turned the knob (inside under the dash) down. Didnt do anything.

Its not the idle up itself. When I switched lines the thing idled high and did not surge.

Talked the mechanic today. I told him about the phantom valve/switch that isnt on the diagrams and the extra lines. He's like no problem I've got other manuals. I'm like but what the heck is this other valve/switch I want to know the name and its purpose and why it isnt on a diagram.

Then he really pissed me off and tells me about his 88 4WD he just bought for $1200 that only needed a timing chain. Why do some folks just have stuff dropped in their laps?

Next step is to head for the junk yard or hopefully find somebody with the same year and engine as mine so I can look at their vacuum lines.

G
#4 ·
One more note to add.
I've got this webber carb to put on.
After this aggravation with vacuume lines I am more leery about putting the webber on.
Now if somebody reading this is good with carbs/vacuum and lives fairly close I would be thrilled to pay you to put the webber on.

Estatically thrilled. I'll even bring steaks and beer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.