tall tails that are true and may apply to any situation. or dumb stuff I have done. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

tall tails that are true and may apply to any situation. or dumb stuff I have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner88
You filled the reservoir with gasoline and hooked it to the engine then held the button in while driving home?!

LOL>>>>>
yep.. that was super pinto..
oh man there are alot of super pinto stories. maybe that should be another thread..
busted a hole in the gas tank in the middle of no where. ( You would have to understand super pinto.) about 1/4 to 1/2 inch stream coming out of it. filled everything that I had available. didn't have anything to stop it.
got about 4 pop bottles full, out of a half tank of gas.
sat there thinking how fawked I was.
how could I get the gas in the motor with out sitting on it?

1. punch a hole in one of the pop bottles and drive like heck.. umm no.
2. fix the gas tank.. didn't have anything. umm no.
3. cut the gas line and put it in the bottle.. umm nothing to tie it to or cut the line. no tools at all.
looking under the hood wondering WTF to do.... needed something to pump it in... there it was the windshield washer can.....

so washer fluid pumped out, gas poured in. line pulled from the washer jets. air cleaner pulled off and hose stuffed down carb.

pulled off the wiper blades, closed the hood. got in turned on the wipers and it started. just as it was going to die I flipped the washer on off, it was working. so I drove home, VERRRRUMMM,,, blaaaaahhh VERRUUUMMM ,, blahhhhhh.. I got pretty good at just pulling the lever.. flipping it on when needed. got home with about 1/2 pop bottle of gas left.

most likely the best red neck, improvisation that I have ever come up with.

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

ok,, 1971 ford pinto wagon. bought it from the local electric company for 300.00. it was bright yellow but back then there was this gas shortage.
it got around 40 mpg. nice.
it was a bad time in life, got into the drug, party group, nothing bad, just against the law.

no drugs like now, just pot, beer, that is about it.

heading out to a party, had 3 buddies in the yellow submarine. Heck we had been out wheeling. the 4 of us could pick it up and almost carry it, or at least drag it.
it was a kegger out in a old gravel pit. it was maybe 11:00 at night so we all had a pretty good buzz on.
any ways this was in the middle of no where.
so we pull into the drive, doing maybe 50, 60, all of a sudden there was no road. you had to turn. we were so so lucky. it was an old gravel pit. all of a sudden it dawned on me and every one in the car that there was a road to the left, or to the right... but none going straight.... we were going straight. and it was to late. Everyone screamed at the same time. we all braced, feet on dash, hands on roof. holy crap..

It was like I said a very old gravel pit... so the sides had washed in. I saw the ground coming and thought,,, this is it. we hit, on a very steep down hill. the pinto was up right. I was still braced as was every one.

as we came to the bottom I would hate to guess at the G forces. there was the hit, then a moment of oh shait.. then the gravel started to fly over the hood. There was so much gravel that to this day I can't believe the wind shield stayed in. It was like running in to a water hole,, oh 2 or 3 feet deep.

we came to a stop.... we all looked at each other like are we dead? did that just happen? omg, we are still alive.....
the pinto was at a stop.. (thank the God Almighty that we didn't land on or end up in the crowd). we got out. I thought that it was the end for the car. didn't really care as no one was hurt. YEH we were all pretty shocked at all of it.
every one at the party was yelling to do it again... yeh right...

after we got out, every one OK, NO ONE hurt in any way..

oh on the way down... as the gravel was flying over the hood. I swear that my butt hit the floor pan of the car though the seat.

anyways I thought the wheels would be broken off, but no. the cross member under the motor was packed with gravel, no oil leaking, the front valance (lower lights) was gone. the wheels were still on it, and full of air. Like nothing had happened.
then there was the track of the landing. you could see touch down to stop...
there was an area (NO KIDDING). Where the car bottomed out and dug a trench that was about 8 inches deep and about 50 to 60 feet long. I think that is where the gravel was flying over the hood.
we had a very good time at the party and,,,,,,,, other then the missing valance. the pinto was fine.
I don't think there is any way you could be more lucky then that.

ps,, that is a TRUE tail....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That is tooooo funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouriman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner88
You filled the reservoir with gasoline and hooked it to the engine then held the button in while driving home?!

LOL>>>>>
yep.. that was super pinto..
oh man there are alot of super pinto stories. maybe that should be another thread..
busted a hole in the gas tank in the middle of no where. ( You would have to understand super pinto.) about 1/4 to 1/2 inch stream coming out of it. filled everything that I had available. didn't have anything to stop it.
got about 4 pop bottles full, out of a half tank of gas.
sat there thinking how fawked I was.
how could I get the gas in the motor with out sitting on it?

1. punch a hole in one of the pop bottles and drive like heck.. umm no.
2. fix the gas tank.. didn't have anything. umm no.
3. cut the gas line and put it in the bottle.. umm nothing to tie it to or cut the line. no tools at all.
looking under the hood wondering WTF to do.... needed something to pump it in... there it was the windshield washer can.....

so washer fluid pumped out, gas poured in. line pulled from the washer jets. air cleaner pulled off and hose stuffed down carb.

pulled off the wiper blades, closed the hood. got in turned on the wipers and it started. just as it was going to die I flipped the washer on off, it was working. so I drove home, VERRRRUMMM,,, blaaaaahhh VERRUUUMMM ,, blahhhhhh.. I got pretty good at just pulling the lever.. flipping it on when needed. got home with about 1/2 pop bottle of gas left.

most likely the best red neck, improvisation that I have ever come up with.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Oh man! The washer fuel pump is sooo badass!!!! As is the flying pinto Hehehe My sister has a pinto wagon, so I know what you were riding!

Jerod

"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

89 4Runner "The James Caird" Yeah, I named it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I had a Mercury Bobcat does that count?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I don't care what folks say about the pinto, it was a cheap, high gas mileage (at the time) car. we all had huge 4x4 farm trucks that got maybe 8 mpg. I think at one point we had 6 pintos and 3 parts pinto's.

sick.. but..

I would still like to build a super pinto wagon, on a 4x4 frame. (even then toyota)
I had so much fun in that car. I know that buying another would never bring back those times... but just damnnnn that was the (funnest car) I have ever owned. course those friends are long gone, the places have changed, times have changed..... maybe it would be a time machine. (looking back that was a bad time,, but that car sure provided alot of fun).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner88 View Post
I had a Mercury Bobcat does that count?
same thing,,,, different grill.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That little 4cyl that was in mine had some nuts. I was on a side street, pulled over to the curb...Didn't want to do a three point turn so I started a burn-out. Cut the wheel al the way to the left and let go of the brakes. The bobcat spun a perfect 180 into the opposite lane. I was in shock that I did it on such a narrow street but it was very cool. Ended up getting rid of it because the front brake line was busted and cost $75 for a rubber hose...and then the shackles rotted through.

Man that hatchback weighed like 2000lbs!!! Drop it on your hand, and your done!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

that and trying to dig your keys out of your right hand pocket with your left hand.
so you can then unlock the hatch, grab the handle and pull it open.
this releases your trapped right hand.
mostly middle finder that is now bent horribly backwards exposing the joint.

course then you have to wash out the dirt and clean it up with jack Daniels. pop joint back into place. tie a piece of rag around it while every one around you is trying to figure out how you just did that with out screaming.

finish the bottle of jack for it's anti biotic properties and go to the party.

next day touch head to make sure your eyes are not really bleeding.
find finger swollen and sore. figure out what happened.

still have the scar and the finger works fine!!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM

I'm kinda glad I dont' have any good stories for you guys...... Don't worry though.... I'm still a youngin'!

Jerod

"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

89 4Runner "The James Caird" Yeah, I named it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode