tall tails that are true and may apply to any situation. or dumb stuff I have done. - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

When I converted my '70 Nova to a small block V8 I had to drill holes in the frame for motor mounts...When done it was off set just enough for the tranny bellhousing bolts not to mate up quite right.

I also installed a set of headers and it hit the steering box...So I jumped up and down on the motor, put a slight dent in the header but made it fit. Installed some cherry bombs right to the collectors...Realized that the tranny wasn't drawing in correctly so I was loosening all the bolts to give it some flex...I was laying under the car width wise pulled a few bolts and loosened some more...THEN, BAM! The transmission came crashing down onto my chest pinning me to the ground...Since nothing was holding the motor anymore it tilted backwards and the cherry bomb on one side pinned my thighs to the ground and on the other it went just across the top of my rib cage/collar bone area. I laid there out of breath for about 1/2hr, trying to stay calm...Then I finally managed to push the tranny off and spin the tail around under the oil pan. Someone I found the strength to life the engine with my legs on one pipe and my arms on the other...I quickly kicked the tranny under the oil pan. When I was free I couldn't move again because it took so much strength to move the engine...So I laid there for another 15-20 minutes to re-gain enough to crawl out from under the car.

Needless to say I didn't work on the thing for another week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man!!!! You guys need to not be allowed under cars..... :P

Jerod

"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

89 4Runner "The James Caird" Yeah, I named it.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Addict

A few years ago I was drilling holes in the frame of my pickup for some nerf bars with a 1/2 horsepower high torque drill- the kind with the jackhammer-type grips. I was chugging through the frame with an over/under grip on the handles when I hit a small bubble in the metal. Now, the bit stopped, but the drill did not. I managed to catch the base of my thumbnail between the sheet metal crease below the sillplate and drill. After a bloody mess of ice water and a red hot needle (to remove swelling and pressure under the nail), I finally figured out the thing was cracked but dug into the meat. I managed to pop it out and set it right, though.

A few days after all this, I'm chaning the oil on a guy's Bronco, a rig that hasn't started for a few years. So, the engine holds 4 quarts of oil so I got under there with a gallon jug and pulled the drain plug. However, the guy forgot to mention that he'd killed 3 batteries trying to start the thing and dumped a CRAPLOAD of gas down the cylinders. So about 2 extra quarts of gas/oil dumped out over the top of the jug and seeped right into my cracked thumbnail. Amazingly enough, I still have the nail!

Moral of the story? Use a weaker drill and wear gloves!

-- J o s h

"I maintain my lawn through sheer intimidation."

1985 Toyota 4x4, 275,000 miles
1987 Toyota 4Runner, 118,000 miles

My truck: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/355262/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Addict

About a dozen years ago I was driving a 77 cherokee that I bought for $500. On my first day to a new job the truck died getting off the freeway. It had no power to the dash, lights, nothing. I also didn't have time for this, or any tools except a couple of concrete trowels and a hammer. So I locked the doors and walked to work.
After work I got a ride back to my truck with no plan of attack. I opened the hood. Everthing looked fine. Wished I had a volt meter. There was this piece of solid wire in the gutter about 3 feet long. I stripped the ends with a concreete trowel and used it as my meter. Sparks- yes battery has power. No sparks at the electrical block on the firewall. I followed the harness back toward the batt when lo and behold it was laying on a head bolt which melted through the cheezy plastic loom and 1 wire. The wire that supplies power to everything was cooked from the batt to the head bolt. Again with the edge of a trowel i cut into that wire and twisted it to one end of my new "volt meter". No, I didn't have any tape or any other way to insulate it, why do you ask? The other end of my "volt meter" I shoved into the batt terminal.
The truck started right up so I drove it home and put an electrical nut on the connection. A couple years later I sold it to a friend, telling him "You need to fix that. It's only temporary." Another year later he sold it to somebody else. He warned them "You need to fix that. It's only temporary."

If you've owned my old truck, I'm sorry. "You need to fix that. It's only temporary."
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenToyotaFan View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man!!!! You guys need to not be allowed under cars..... :P
Kinda hard to get pinned under a lifted truck though...Gotta be really stupid to do that I think. So that's why I got the 4runner now.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

lol... some pretty good stories here.

gotta love those DUH moment.
I was pulling the front apart on the wife's truck. camo method.
well as I lifted the outer assembly up the grease was sticking the bearing in the up position. it needs to stay in the outer ball.

yep, stuck my thumb in there to push it down. the outer came off cutting half way through my thumb and nail.. nice.

had to save the brake line. got it on the milk crate. YES it was squirting blood.
grabbed the sterial shop towel.. wrapped it up. ran into the house. and started washing it out. full of grease.. crap..

ER around here is like a 4 hour wait, even for a nurse that works there.
Wife came running up the stairs and asked how bad I was hurt. I asked how did you know I was hurt. she said any time the door slams open and I run up the stairs and she hears running water, she knows I am hurt...
guess there is a theme there.

anyways she looks into the sink and asked how bad is it? I said not bad but I have to get the grease out of it. do we have a new tooth brush? and could you get the dish soap? she said OMG I can't watch. I said just get it.
she said you need to go to the ER it is squirting. I said that is good it is washing the crap out. also mentioned that I didn't want to wait all after noon at the er. then she understood.

so held it open. dumped on the soap, tooth brush and scrubbed till I thought I was going to die. rinsing at the same time.

took a few breaths and looked, looked really good, that is no grease and the thumb was even pretty clean.
did the best I could to realign the nail and flesh. triple antibiotic ointment, (I have the 4 oz tube).
it did ok. was sore as heck for a few weeks.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Well I had a good one today.... For the last 3 weeks I've been rebuilding the 390 in my step moms 71 Ford F100 pickup.... well today, as I was hoisting it up to stick it back in the truck finally, a bolt broke, engine dropped 6 feet to the slab. I was about 6 feet away thankfully! Scared the crap out of me... I'm picking up a new flexplate in the morning.....

Note to self, and everyone: A 390 is a heavy ass engine! Use big bolts to lift it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-04-08_0927.jpg (33.6 KB, 1 views)

Jerod

post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

thank God you didn't have your hand down in there like lineing up the motor mount or something as bad.
glad that it didn't fall on you.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Addict

Holy crap! Yeah, a 390 is a big sucker- did you have any trouble finding parts for it? A buddy of mine can't find hardly anything to save his life...

-- J o s h

"I maintain my lawn through sheer intimidation."

1985 Toyota 4x4, 275,000 miles
1987 Toyota 4Runner, 118,000 miles

My truck: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/355262/
post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 AM

No trouble finding parts... maybe something's wrong with your buddy? I was able to get a new piston and yesterday a new flexplate, both overnight, with no trouble from one of the auto parts stores in town.

Edit: Engine is in as of yesterday, so no more dropping.....

Jerod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode