how to build a toyota, solid axle, rock crawler thread. - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Aprentice

I really like my taller shock towers for the front axle. It gives me the ability to run almost any length shock. I currently have Rancho 12" shocks up there, but I just picked up some 15" and plan to try those out.

on to the photos:
clean up old shock tower:

do some mock-ups:

weld it in place:

Make a shock tower brace:

Flex it out:

on the trail:

Thanks,
Rod
www.crazypetersons.com
TLCA # 9116
TTR #013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

what did you use for the up right?
looks like square tube with one side cut out.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Aprentice

that is right: 2" x 4" square tubing. I drilled all the holes, then cut out the one side.
Using 4" wide square tubing allows for Gabriel Air shocks - which gave a nice ride, but they were not long enough for trail use.

Full write up here:
ShockTowers

oh... to add to the list:
Crossover Steering is amazing! I wish I would have done that upgrade years ago!
My install:
Steering

Thanks,
Rod
www.crazypetersons.com
TLCA # 9116
TTR #013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

springs and mounts.

I am running all cans.. they are pretty awsome.

for my wife I went with the all pro's they look the same in every way.
I went with the 3.5 inch all pros. they have settled to about 3 inches.
you have to move the forward mount 6 inches.

I looked every where around here for the 18mm or the 11/16th bolts.
none to be had a a fair price so I went with 3/4 inch. over kill I know but they were cheaper.
you do not want to beat the bolt through the bushing so, using a 3/4 inch piece of rebar I had laying around I heated it to HOT. then pushed the bushings over it.
I have had no luck with grease staying in the bushings so I used john deere chain lube. stuff is awsome.

I made my own shackles and frame mounts. bumb stops. I did not use bump stops in the rear, I figure it is to light and if something hits. well it is not like the oil pan.

I just layed the steel down to the stock shackle and beat it untill I had the curved part right.
I also welded (bolt stops in) to make the bolt turn in the bushing vs against the narrow shackle. this has really kept the nuts from walking loose.

rear

I have the expensive braided long steel lines on my wifes I just moved the hard line bracket to the side of the frame, She has more movement lenth available then I do.. and uses STOCK brake lines.

at full but not twisted droop.

adjustable rear proportioning valve mount. I moved it up two holes from here after a test drive. now it is great.

to mount the springs I ordered all new 9/16ths u bolts with the extra long barrel nuts.
there are two lenths. I will have to look it up if there is an interest.
I cut the extra lenth off with a sawsall.

oh... the front shoulder mounted bolts I re used. I got the old one's out by welding a large nut on the outer part of the bolt to give me something real to crank on with a wrench.. this heat from the welding was a huge help.

also cut out part of the cab mount behind the front shackles. they will hit.

front bump stops.

Last edited by missouriman; 12-20-2008 at 03:56 PM.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

drive shafts.

as stated above I spent alot of money on the long travel joint, having the drive shaft made.

then on the first run, don't even know what I hit, I bent it at the joint..
so much for that 400 bucks.
or the cost of a winch, two swampers.. uggggggg.

so. the wife's truck I went with the receiver hitch tube front drive line and replaced the very thin skined rear drive shaft with schedual 40 pipe.. it is about 1/4 inch thick.

rear drive lin is out of balance. we only run the trucks along at about 60 mph.
but she has walked the truck side ways on the drive shaft with out any damage at this time.!!
stock left, 40 on the right.

Yes it LOOKS like the old one will fit down the inside, but it won't..

cut the end off

chisle the skin off of it.

grind the flash weld out of the inside of the pipe. put the joint in and weld it up.

front drive line.
cut the square tube to lenth.
used the small square tube on one end to center the larger tube.
make sure that you line up the ears of the u joint to the flats of the square tube so you can phase the drive shaft later.
I also used three beads of brass weld to make the shaft tighter, or it will rattle bad..

cut a bit off the slip joint. you will not be using any of it!! but leave enough to center and weld.

it will fit right into the end of the tube.

cut the constant velocity end off and weld a 1/2 inch peice of the smaller tube onto it, center this as best you can and weld it on the INSIDE.
then weld the larger tube to the out side. I used small washers to make it slide on there tight and centered.

line it up square not like in the picture. that is not how I welded it on..

the brass beads..

Last edited by missouriman; 12-20-2008 at 03:57 PM.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

hydro.. there are alot of sites out there, alot of very good write up's..

but when drilling the box they all say to drill out the A of toyota..
with a do over I would drill out the first O. the other leaves it right in the radiator support.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 PM

Beauty man! This thread lives up to it's title!!!

Jerod

"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

89 4Runner "The James Caird" Yeah, I named it.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

jacking and support 101........

oh yeh,, gravel drive.. jack stands don't work, please note the wide stance piramid of treated 4x4s.

do NOT EVER USE in a dirt or gravel drive
jack stands
the floor jack.
cement blocks.
tree stumps, (they can split).
what ever you do use it must support the truck if it rains. (ground gets soft).
it must take wind and weather.
it must support a whole house. you sure don't want the truck to fall on you.

all of these drive way mods the truck is supported, has been pushed on, there are extra's that are not in the pictures, like putting the tires under the truck. but not as the support, just the catcher.

even on cement, the floor jack is not a good support.
my buddy was trying to get a bolt loose. tried everything then got a 6 foot bar. he was not under the truck at the time. he (big guy) sort of jumped on the end of it and the welds on the floor jack gave up the ghost and dumped the truck onto the floor. (big guy) there was not room for him under the truck after it fell. He told me how sick he felt that he had just been under there jerking around on the breaker bar.
I know that it is silly of me. but in California, after the 89 earth quake I could not get under a truck unless there was my pyramid of wood supporting it. I could not trust jack stands, because I could easy push the truck over on them. ok, not easy but could still do it.
my best friend in Sacramento laughed at me. untill we were working in his drive and one hit. the truck fell over. we went and bought 10 4x4s and cut them up. that was 15 years ago and as far as I know he is still using them.

as my truck has gotten taller I have gone to a mix of 8x8's and 4x4's.

most of this comes from a story I can tell..
when I was a kid I had a 70 road runner that I blew the clutch in.
I had the transmission out and was bolting up the fly wheel. I don't remember why but I also had the wheel off on the drivers side.
I had it supported by a hydraulic jack under the frame. we lived in the middle of no where. the car fell on me. the frame was just above my hips. I had turned my head to the rear of the car when the wrench slipped.
now this hurt, way bad. but I could breath. but I could not turn my head.
I yelled and yelled for all the good it would do.... then after the panic, I got to work. I could not see the jack, my head was turned the other way. I did get ahold of it and the handle. I released it and mashed it all the way back down against my hip. but I could not get it set up right against anything to jack the car back up.
I felt around some more and felt a screw driver. so with my head trapped, shoulders ect. I started digging a hole in the compacted gravel drive.

when I finally got the hole dug and the jack wedged in under the front A frame.. after a lot of digging prying cramping and scooping... I about cried when I found the hole was not big enough to use the jack's handle, I could not pump it...... so I kept digging.. scooping, I could not breath very well.. and my insides hurt like I was going to die... I did get the hole dug. I did get that car off of me, as you know since I am typing this all in...
amazingly I was not really hurt. my parents would have junked the car and killed me for doing that. I got out with some scrapes, some major bruises. I was lucky that it didn't just crush me when it fell. I didn't even tell my parents.
It was awful, it has been some 30 years now and I can still close my eyes, smell the blood and the under coating of the car. I remember the cramps, the digging, the over whelming sadness that I felt when the jack handle would not work in the hole I dug.

so.. don't let the damnnnnn thing fall on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by missouriman; 12-20-2008 at 03:59 PM.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Roadrunners weren't exactly the size of a Yugo or Fiat either!
post #30 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
that is right: 2" x 4" square tubing. I drilled all the holes, then cut out the one side.
Using 4" wide square tubing allows for Gabriel Air shocks - which gave a nice ride, but they were not long enough for trail use.

Full write up here:
ShockTowers

oh... to add to the list:
Crossover Steering is amazing! I wish I would have done that upgrade years ago!
My install:
Steering

thanks for the input that is great... thanks for joining in.

anybody else? even the small tricks can be a huge time saver.

Like a chunk of rope with a knot and silicone to plug a huge puncture.

I have even used the wind shield washer pump as a fuel pump..... didn't work well but got me home.
post if you want to hear that story.

Last edited by missouriman; 02-13-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode