Help...need help with tourqe specs on 3VZE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Toyota > Toyota SUV's & Trucks

Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A
babypoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help...need help with tourqe specs on 3VZE

I am finally putting the 92 4Runner back together it has the V-6 OHC. According to the book the bearing caps for the cams are supposed to be at 12 lbs is this correct it seems sort of low. Secondly according to the book in the head gasket repacement section it says that the intake manifold should be tourqed to 13 lbs but in the intake manifold removal and install section it says 29 lbs what gives??? Which one is right? Thirdly what the heck is an injection manifold it talks about on in the book but I'm unsure as to what it is?
Thanks again
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond reputemudrunner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Cam specs sound correct. 13lbs sounds light for the intake though I would go with 20-25 to be safe. The injection manifold is if you have emissions...this is the tube that goes onto the exhaust manifold with the two oval gaskets (on the 22re at least) never looked for it on a v-6
Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM
sb5walker

Default Having used the factory torque specs...

I replaced my 3VZE head gaskets in 2001 and, not having any experience to cause me to question the factory torque specs, that's what I used on the caps and on the intake manifold. (I just checked my factory manual and the torque specs you quoted are the same and are what I used.)

I've put 63k miles on the motor since then, and for 6 years (I'm knocking on wood right now) the motor has been fine. I could see torquing the intake manifold bolts & nuts a little over factory spec, but I don't think you should go a lot over.

BY THE WAY! I wish oh boy do I wish I had replaced the knock sensor while I was in there - don't know what I was thinking: it was pinging occasionally before the gasket change and of course still does. Tweaking timing & octane has helped, but not eliminated the problem. Not sure if the knock sensor would have helped, but it may have. Likewise the various temperature senders are easy to access now, but won't be after the plenum goes back on. Just something for you to think about.

Another tip: For years I had a small oil leak from the back of the right valve cover. When installing after head gasket replacement I used Toyota's black sealant on both sides of the gasket, and above and below the rubber plug at the rear. It hasn't leaked a drop since. That sealant is real soft and will be easy to remove if I ever take that cover off again.

Finally, when all is together and you're ready to add coolant, attach the lower radiator hose, but only attach the upper hose to the motor. Then lift up the free end of the upper hose and pour in as much coolant as it will take. Then attach hose and fill radiator. I didn't do this at first and when I fired it up the water pump apparently didn't have a prime and so no coolant was going anywhere. (Oops!) You may already know this but just in case...

Good luck with your repair.

Last edited by sb5walker; 07-29-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: to add something
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement